Curry Club - Thursday 7 March 2019 - venue TBC

Michael Palaeologus

Morning all,

Had a fantastic night last night, was just what we needed to keep our spirits high.. I thought the food was really good, even Jaws' radioactive madras, the service was great esp once we as the guests got with the programme and followed the 'system' and the company was the best of all..

Had such a great laugh and really enjoyed ourselves..

will definitely date permitting be coming to the next one

xxx

I really enjoyed it as well - The food I thought was solid (if over reliant on tikka-fying every piece of meat) but not enough to make me go regularly. The "system" was something to behold - the WHOLE table had to to order, in sequence, not parallel

starter

vegetable

main

rice

bread

At no point could you say "pilau rice and a plain naan" for example

I can see why a restaurant might want to impose some semblance of order on less-than-focused customers but it did seem overly fussy

Everyone seemed in good form as well and it was just the tonic I needed too

Good night at the Surma. the food has improved dramatically since my last visit there, at that point things were most underwhelming.

Now the food was fresh and zingy and they are clearly in the vanguard of the "new" curry houses in the area.

Hibbs, Georgia and Mr G, Sean MacGabhan and Mme MacGabhan, Strawbs and Jaws, Verona and Mr Verona (aka Citizen ED), David Carnell and your faithful servant attended, so the Surma were happy to see us troop through the door. We had a goodly amount of drink, popadoms, starters and mains with plenty of side dishes which came to ?20 each, and we were then offered a free digestif.

So, thats it, all of the ED and immediate environs curry houses done in a year. Lets do it again!

To start the next cycle, do people fancy a trip down South to Babur in Forest Hill?

Babur

How about on Wednesday 26 November?

Babur is a little further afield, but I thought it would good to start our second year with an unusual one

or

We could have the next official one at Tandoori Nights and do an unofficial trip to Babur between now and then for them that wants to and are happy to travel a bit.

Also - I have a lemon squeezer for Jaws at home. Every little helps :))

Ah the joys of bussing to Honor Oak proper as opposed to what the 63 says is Honor Oak

Might there be economic sense in travelling directly to HO from town after work for people with Travel Cards and sharing cabs back?

Babur is not that far really but it's mildly inconvenient to bus/walk it (and I've done both)

Off the Babur site..

Special offers

50% off main courses for early and late diners

Demand for tables between 7:30 and 8:30 exceeds our supply so we?d like to encourage you to dine earlier or later. To do that we?ve got an offer we hope you won?t refuse.

Customers who dine with us early (seated by 7pm) or late (seated after 9pm) will receive a 50% discount on all main courses, Sunday through Thursday. This offer applies to the restaurant?s a la carte menu and is available to customers dining in the restaurant only for parties up to four persons. Please mention this offer on arrival. This offer is valid until 30 November 2008.

Well, we have hard core curry fans who will willingly travel many a mile for a fine ruby.

Then we have those who feel light headed if they have to travel more than 20 yards from Lordship Lane.

Oh sod it, lets go to Babur in a few weeks time and those who want to will and those who dont can come to the main one at the end of the month at Nandoori Tights.