Curry Club - Thursday 7 March 2019 - venue TBC

Michael Palaeologus

I have also posted this on a general thread about food hygiene, but thought it would be of interest to the curry connoisseurs on the Forum.

Went to Mirash on Saturday night. When the booking was made a couple of weeks ago, I checked the Southwark Food Safety web-page and they had a rating of 4. Not perfect but fair enough.

So was surprised on arrival that they had a sticker in the window claiming a a rating of five.

Whilst there, sensing a couple of other aspects were a bit off, I checked again on my phone to see that they were inspected in early November and now have a rating of two!

I tried speaking with the manager about this discrepancy and also tried phoning them tonight to discuss. For the sake of brevity, I shall just say that neither converstaion was productive.

So if you're happy eating at an establishment that has a rating of two, but chooses to display a sticker claiming it's a five even though their previous rating was four, then please continue to give them your custom.

If, like me, that sends a shiver down your spine, I would give them a very wide berth.

I have reported to Southwark.

I have posted this already on another thread but I thought that the curry connoisseurs of East Dulwich should know:

Went to Mirash on Saturday night. When the booking was made a couple of weeks ago, I checked the Southwark Food Safety web-page and they had a rating of 4. Not perfect but fair enough.

So was surprised on arrival that they had a sticker in the window claiming a a rating of five.

Whilst there, sensing a couple of other aspects were a bit off, I checked again on my phone to see that they were inspected in early November and now have a rating of two!

I tried speaking with the manager about this discrepancy and also tried phoning them tonight to discuss. For the sake of brevity, I shall just say that neither conversation was productive.

So if you're happy eating at an establishment that has a rating of two, but chooses to display a sticker claiming it's a five even though their previous rating was four, then please continue to give them your custom.

If, like me, that sends a shiver down your spine, I would give them a very wide berth.

I have reported to Southwark.

DuncanW Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Mirash on Saturday night.

I checked again on my phone to see

> that they were inspected in early November and now

> have a rating of two!

>

> If, like me, that sends a shiver down your spine,

> I would give them a very wide berth.

On checking, most SE22 Indians are 2 or less, so why pick on Mirash

Mirash 2

Dulwich Taandoori 2

Meemsaab 2

Surma 1

only Jaaflong is better at 5

If you consider these ratings important, you dont have a lot of chaoice of where to source your Indian food. I have eaten in all the "2" establishments without problems and know of many others who are the same.

Fair question...

I had that experience at Mirash not at any of the others.

In this respect, I don't know about the other restaurants but Mirash is knowingly misleading its clientele into thinking its food hygiene is 'very good', whereas in fact it has been judged to be such that "improvements are necessary" - it's that deception that I was most troubled by.

I wouldn't knowingly eat anywhere that had a 2 or below, and that's quite a worry that these other restaurants are graded as such. I didn't know that so thanks for pointing it out.

Thankfully, there are other options. Jaflong, Rajah Rowing Team, Ganapati and Millenium Tandoori are all grade at 5. Village Tandoori is a 4.

DuncanW Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry Michael, I thought this was a public

> forum...?

You're not really sorry are you.... :)

But you will be, when Michael P gets back at you. He really doesn't like sarcasm. He's a big bloke too. Ooooooh.

• 2 months later...