Curry Club - Thursday 7 March 2019 - venue TBC

Michael Palaeologus

I will definitely keep my eye out for the next curry night that gets planned as Jaws and I may pop along for a bit of Indian (if there is room for two more of course) - gutted I missed last nights - I even said in the car on the way home I had a real hankering for Indian.. Anyhoo looking forward to it..

I thoroughly enjoyed my food - starters was light and fresh, whilst the main was punchy and hot without being silly (although as we have seen - silliness is optional)

I tasted a few other dishes and found plenty to go back for and I wouldn't have any real complaints (the staff's friendliness and attentiveness can't be questioned - although the tension of starting a new business was apparent)

It's not a revolution in Indo/Banglo dining on LL - but it's a very decent addition

I think that Jaflong is a welcome addition to the myriad of curry houses on the Lane. Its menu has the standards for those who like a traditional curry; but otherwise they have made a real attempt to dish up some alternatives.

My main dish (Chicken Tawa) was healthily spiced, I had an aubergine side dish which was deliciously smokey. I also tried the Chicken Naga - this threatened to be mind blowing but was actually spicy and very flavoursome rather than being just too hot. The Lamb Tikka was excellent as was the pumpkin side dish. Tarka Sag Dahl was tasty but a little oily.

The decor of the place is contemporary and it is bigger than I expected, but not cavernous. The service was very friendly. We got two free bottles of champagne to start and a free Baileys and a hug each at the end.

The prices seemed about right and in-line with the competition.

I can report that the Gents were clean, although they are in the basement and the stairs are steep, so be careful if attempting them when inebriated.

It was a good turn out with eight of us - Sean Mac and Mrs Mac, Georgia and Mr Georgia, Floating Onion, TinaWeeGee, Hibbs and me.

Kalamity Kel slipped in half way through for a swift glass of wine - sitting on an opposite table with a mystery man :))

haha @ "mystery man"

Sorry for not being more sociable. Hadn't intended in popping in - we were just walking past when the waiters spotted a familar face and dragged us in for an inspection of the place and a glass of wine. What a fab way to get customers!! ;-)

We had a take out from Dulwich Tandoori on Sunday and it was brilliant.

Chicken Chilli Masala

Chickpea Masala

Sag Alloo

Mushroom Rice

and something that involved tandoori style grilled vegetables.

All very well prepared, fresh and tasty.

I have only ever eaten in there once and I was shamefully drunk so I can?t give an accurate description of the experience other than that it was pleasant and they didn?t throw me out. Even though I probably was being ?that guy?, you know the one demanding Vindaloo at the top of his voice whilst downing bottles of Kingfisher and spraying poppadom all over the places.

So, its ED Tandoori vs Coriander with one EDF heavy hitter backing each, although one is clearly hedging his bets :))

We could do one in July and t'other in August.

After that, maybe the Mirash and then are we starting again? I have lost track.

There are the takeaways, but that would need people to volunteer their homes for a base.

Ah, well done DM, I wondered when somebody would spot my deliberate mistake.

No date, the last one was on the 16th of June - a Monday. People were asking for us to ring the changes re days of the week.

So, looking in my dairy I find .. cows.

So, looking in my diary - how about w/c 14/7. I can do the 15th and the 17th - thats Tuesday and Thursday.