Overall performance of Train services in ED?

Hi Everyone,

I tired searching for similar threads but couldn't find any. So sorry if this has been covered before, but it must change so often I thought I would ask for a fresh perspective.

We are move to ED in a few weeks and I just wanted to gauge the locals opinion of the services from east dulwich station for services into London.

Are they reliable?

Can you easily get on a train, or are the crammed like sardine cans?

Is it better to go from Forest Hill or anywhere else?

Does anyone else travel into Charing Cross and Shoreditch/Liverpool St, whats your route and how long does it take you on average?

Thanks in advance! :)

Trains to London Bridge in the morning are pretty reliable (save perhaps the 7.34am). I almost always get a seat; they are only overcrowded if there's been a delay or a cancelled train.

Not sure what the effect of cancelling the South London Line will be though.

Trains from ED to London Bridge are fairly reliable and frequent. Whether you get a seat depends on when you travel - between 8 am and 9 am you probably won't, unless perhaps you go right to the back of the train (and are happy to be at the back of the queue to go through the ticket barriers at London Bridge). Seats in the evening, from London Bridge, usually aren't a problem, and the trains, even if you're standing, are rarely as crowded as tubes at the same time.

For Shoreditch, you may be better getting the East London Line overground from Forest Hill, but it could depend on where you're starting from in East Dulwich. Getting on to the Northern Line at London Bridge isn't fun in rush hour.

For Charing Cross, you can cross platforms at London Bridge and get one of the very frequent trains that go through and on to Charing Cross.

For Shoreditch I currently take the bus - 78 from Peckham Rye side, or get to Camberwell and then the 42 / 35. Takes an average of an hour door to door to Shoreditch Town Hall - on a good day 40 minutes, on a bad day (with those hideous roadworks around Liverpool St) 1h 15. But that doesn't happen often. That said, I don't tend to be travelling in rush hour, so it's probably worse then.

Looking forward to the East London Line opening to Peckham Rye station as that should speed things up considerably. If you're anywhere near to Forest Hill, then yeah, reckon the overground's going to be your best route.

I have been getting the the 0729 from ED to London Bridge since early January and I can't remember any cancellations. It's been delayed by 2-3 minutes once or twice. I always get a seat in the last two carriages.

Coming home is a bit different, I finish at different times, so if a train is about to leave there's no chance of a seat and I sometimes let it go and get on the next one (10 minute or so wait). This is around 1730-1800.

Overall it's luxury compared to some other commuiter services, although the early start helps - later there's far less chance of a seat.

This post is not tempting fate and my morning commute will continue as normal.

I get the train (7:15, 7:29, or 7:34) every day. Usually it is fine, although once a month you can expect a delay or cancellation. Trains are clean, and not overcrowded at that time. It doesn't usually run if there's snow on the ground, and weekend (particularly Sunday) closures are common.

As others have said, for Shoreditch/Liverpool Street, the East London line from Forest Hill would be convenient, and this will soon be extended to Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill. Alternatively, Liverpool Street is a 20 min walk (or 10 mins on bus) from London Bridge.

I've been using the line for over 6 years now and overall it's a really good and reliable service. The 7:29 is my train of choice and I can't recall the last time there was any problems.

If you don't have it already and have a smart phone, the National Rail app is brilliant. I have a 10 minute walk to the station and the live running times mostly removes any waiting time or disappointments.