Lordship Lane in the late 50sa/early 60s

lindylou

Having just slated dulwichmum and mentioned that I have lived in ED all my life I thought you might like to hear this story. When my brother and I were children my parents both had to work as there was no such thing then as social security or help with rent, etc. Anyway, my grandparents lived on the the new dogkennel hill estate. During the summer holidays my brother and I were packed off to them for the duration of the 6 weks (only during the day). Where sainsburys is now used to be what was called a "slag heap" which was the remnants of coal and coke for disposal. My grandfather (a sheister by nature) would get my brother and I ready for a day out, take an old pram and take us to the slag heap to nick coal (which we were unaware of). He would load the old pram up with bits of slag and then watch out for the people in charge. When we heard the command "right, run you little toe-rags" we would run and rum thinking it was a game he was playing. My parents didn't know of this exciting little venture for years. Another thing he did was inherit a newsagents at herene hill from his father. This was given to him after the last was (I might add that my grandfather was a awarded a very high medal for taking out a german troop single-handedly # albeit he was shot to pices with shrapnel). Anyway, this new-found wealth went to m y grandfather's head. He drank the profits away most weeks. On one occasion he decided to host a party in his house (a prefab in Ruby Street, Old Kent Road), however, one of the "ladies" had a lot to drink, fell over the rickety bannister and successfully sued him for all he had. End of business.

Also I don't suppose anyone would remember the old joke shop which would be where the the fancy furniture place is now, by sainsburys. It was great. You could buy all the usual - plastic dog sh--t, fake blood, etc. All the kids used to go there. A friend of my brother's was so into it all, he went on to become a very good magician working the cruise ships. Another thing of interest was the sainsbury's "freezer centre" which would be about on the corner of Northcross. I kid you not, you could actually buy a whole lamb or pig chopped into pieces in there. It was about the time when fridge/freezers first became available. Also there were good public conveniences in Lordship Lane, I think somewhere near the police station. Hope this is of interest. I have loads more info if anyone is interested.

I'm very interested.

"Another thing of interest was the sainsbury's "freezer centre" which would be about on the corner of Northcross."

This was before my time in ED, but I do remember the one in Streatham High Road, when I lived in Balham and Clapham.