Consultation on South of the Borough Event

Consultation is now open on the South of the borough event

Residents and local groups are being asked what kind of Council backed community event they would like to see in the south of the borough to celebrate the best of the area and bring people together. Do you want an event with music and dancing, or a Fair type event with stalls etc or a mixture of both or something totally different. Daytime or evening? Plheease let your opinion be heard by filling in the short form by 20th March>South of the Borough Event

Thanks

Renata

The budget is ?78,000 - sadly this is composed of ?24,000 council officer time to select an event/s and ?54,000 to fund any event/s.

I've suggested they use ?18,000 to fund the Dulwich Village School Crossing Patrols.

The remiander ask schools to host/run a literacy and numeracy festival open to the public. Sure lots of other ideas.

I'm lost on this one James. You're a councillor for East Dulwich why are you banging on about the Dulwich Village School Crossing Patrols? More prescient are the crossings on East Dulwich Grove in East Dulwich. Cars tear along East Dulwich Grove at significant speeds and fly over the crossings without noticing children waiting to cross: I reckon that this applies to one in three cars. I personally know parents who take a long detour along Lordship Lane to avoid East Dulwich Grove.

But that's by the by. Why hijack this thread with a non-sequitor?

Hi grabot,

The Dulwich Village ward councillors manuervred the ?18,000 of the ?30,000 allocated for CGS revenue (covering East Dulwich, College and Village wards) spend this coming year and into perpetuity to be forever allocated to Dulwich Village School Crossing Patrols. The patrols are needed.

So if no other funding is available reducing the Sotuh of the Borough event budget looking, begging for a home would be better than the extremely limited revenue funding we have.

Yeh, I realised that I had misused the word with hindsight. But then like you I liked the word prescient. It makes a mad kind of sense. A crossing with a sense of foreboding hanging over it. The crossing itself having an awareness of impending tragedy. Anyway, I don't get this James Barber guy. Is he a troll? He seems to provide satirical insight into the internal workings of a dysfunctional council without any relevance to the immediate point. In the past I remember a character called Dulwich Mum who provided satirical and somewhat irrelevant input. Is the councillor character a creation of the same person?

*Edited. I seem to lose the ability to use the English language when typing into a free text box.

Because of the Peckham Peace wall, a 'Love & Peace festival'.

Stands devoted to green/environmental issues/community groups etc.,

Local craft/trade stands,

A few live bands,

Childrens games,

Healthy food stalls and/or vegetarian,

Where you can sit on haystacks in the sunshine, on a sunday afternoon and drink pink lemonade!

So that everyone can come together and celebrate a traditional festival based on love & peace, in a

relaxed, chilled-out atmosphere.

I've posted the above suggestion on their website

:))

I'm getting carried away now, but I would enjoy a Lordship Lane festival. Close Lordship Lane for the day. The local businesses could host culinary, musical comedy and literary events. I reckon buses could be diverted along Barry Road or something.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi grabot,

> The Dulwich Village ward councillors manuervred

> the ?18,000 of the ?30,000 allocated for CGS

> revenue (covering East Dulwich, College and

> Village wards) spend this coming year and into

> perpetuity to be forever allocated to Dulwich

> Village School Crossing Patrols. The patrols are

> needed.

> So if no other funding is available reducing the

> Sotuh of the Borough event budget looking, begging

> for a home would be better than the extremely

> limited revenue funding we have.

I was under the impression that the ?18k comes from the Council mainstream traffic road safety budget and not from the CGS. Is that not the case then?

Just one day E-dealer. Just one day. Seems that this thread is disappearing back into council minutia anyway, so what does any of it matter? No doubt we will be informed that in 1650 Tessa Jowell passed a law banning groups of more than 50 persons gathering in south of the London Borough of Southwark for any activity that might, as judged by a panel of Calvinist scholars, be deemed to be pleasurable.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The remiander ask schools to host/run a literacy

> and numeracy festival open to the public.

I didn't see a winky emoticon here, so I assume this depressing idea was serious. Dear God, a festival should involve people enjoying themselves without the nicey-nicey covertly-finger-wagging 'learning can be fun' brigade spoiling it. If Southwark's schools can't ensure that children leave ther tender care with the basics of literacy and numeracy, please do something about it and don't ask the rest of us to pick up the tab when the money should rightly be spent on a big bash involving live music, something to smile about and a gigantic beer tent...