le chandelier

Paul

Had the Shepherd's pie (is it meant to have lamb in?) and wasn't all that impressed.

Girlfriend had the quiche which was bland. My friend had the bacon sandwich for which the bread was too thick and tough.

GF had the latte which wasn't, it's all to do with no froth I'm told, served in their dinky dual layer glasses which are remarkably cost efficient (ok I mean profit enhancing) as well as thermally so. To add insult to injury she was provided with a long handled teaspoon (aka a sundae spoon) just to emphasise how much less for more you get here than at the coffee chains down the road. He had a tea which was fine and I had a hot chocolate that was a tad thin on richness.

What can I say I am less than enthused by this pretentious place. A huge missed opportunity to win back the ground lost to Costa Nerostar and give us greast cuppas at a good price.

By the way I forgot to ask if teas can be topped up with hor water for free. Any one tried asking?

Just to balance things out I feel I should comment that the one time we went there we really enjoyed the whole experience.

Got a nice seat out the back where had space to park the pram without getting in the way. I had the kedgeree (fantastic) and my wife had the bacon sarnie. I of course tried some of hers also as she was raving about the bacon (comes from William Rose I believe) and was suitably impressed. Didn't notice tough bread as described. Also they sell those old style lemonades which I'm a big fan of.

Of course, it is pricey, hence why we don't go often, but good for a treat.

we had a waitress who didnt know the difference between bakewell tart and eccles cake. so we got the wrong one. for a raisin hater this was a problem, of course we got the right one in the end, but if you are going to be a posh cake shop then you should know your posh cakes!

• 3 weeks later...

MadWorld74 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just been with Mr MW74 and sat upstairs in the

> Morrocan 'suite'...and bloody lovely it was to.

>

> The best God damn cocktails I'vehad for a long,

> long while in London, and worth every penny.

Not that I know your drinking habits, Madworld74, but that's some claim. I'm not one to blow my own trumpet but I make a pretty damn decent cocktail myself, at half the price. You name it, i'll wipe the floor with the competition.>:D<

What did you have? I'm really interested in this place now. If they really are that good then I may have to check it out.