Cost of renting in East Dulwich/Peckham?

Lamby

Not sure if this should go in the property section so apologies if it should!

I currently live in a shared house in the Bellenden area. I really love the area, but it's time to move on from sharing. However, having lots of people in a house makes the rent and council tax that bit cheaper! I want to live with one other person - we're not a couple, so need a two bedroom place. I like being close to both East Dulwich and Rye Lane, so ideally would like to stay near to where I am now but I don't mind moving a bit. Our budget for a two bedroom flat is ?220 a week (about ?950 a month) max, which looking at the houses advertised on this forum and also on Gumtree is definitely pushing it - so I just wanted opinions, is that rent possible round here or should I just move to Sydenham?! (Obviously nothing against Sydenham, but I do like it round here...)

?950 is pushing it??? Bloody hell, we are talking before bills aren't we?

Only 3 years ago we used to rent a 3 bed flat on Barry Road with a massive garden for ?1000 a month (not including bills)!

If you do think Sydenham, we rent have a big 2 double bedroom flat for less than ?800 a month (also not including bills).

It does seem to have jumped up massively in the last year, which is really annoying if you want to change your circumstances! Saying that, keep your eyes open for decent private landlords. I live in a bargainous 1bed that's only ?660 a month (price of a tiny studio, basically) that I found on Gumtree by fluke not long ago.

Good luck!

I think private landlords are the way to go - that's what we're doing at the moment, another fluke found on Gumtree so fingers crossed I can find another one. Your place is very bargainous embellina!

I'd thought about West Dulwich as well, but I really need the transport links that ED has, my work takes me all over and I can get most places pretty easily from here.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You'll definitely find something if you don't mind

> ex-council flats.

Rubbish!!! we have a lovely two bed flat in a quiet road with stripped wood floors and a lovely large garden and we pay ?900 before bills.....and it's private not ex council.

You have to be quick off the mark and literally snap a flat up as soon as you see it. We were running up and down LL a few years ago between agents and we lost a flat by about 10 seconds. No joke.

S'pose but that's temporary, no? A 2 bed, split level flat for ?850pcm, smack by the train station is still a pretty good deal, even if it doesn't look so pretty from the outside. That said, I couldn't persuade mr embellina to look at it. I think his experience of estates was marred by living in Hackney!

?1100 was the feeling I was getting. Which is sad, because I could afford that so long as I didn't eat or go out. Nevermind, I'll stay optimistic. I just wanted to make sure that when I get round to posting in the property section people wouldn't laugh at my budget!