Goose Green Roundabout

Does anyone know who I should speak to at Southwark Council regarding the depressing state of Goose Green roundabout? It used to look great but has been left for at least 18 months and now very shabby. It's just a few bricks, so surely not that costly. I have tried our councillor, Mr Barber, but have had no response. Many thanks

In many areas local Garden Centres provide and maintain Round abouts, they even get free labour from outworkers from a nearby Prison. This also gives the Inmates the opportunity of being outside for a while.

There is displayed a small notice board that shows who supplied and maintains these, this is small reward for an exellent service.

Saw a programme recently about keeping Urban Green spaces wild by growing Flowers on them.

This includes Roundabouts and Dual Carraigeways...

Essential for our insects and Bees..

Book by Sarah Raven. Here

Gardening presenter Sarah Raven is heading up a new show starting on Wednesday 21 September called Bees, Butterflies and Blooms, which aims to look into how we can help boost the number of insects and wild flowers in the UK.

Fox

Thank you so much Burbage - I had no idea that the council had plans to remove the roundabout. Letting it fall into disrepair is obviously part of the exercise. Goose Green roundabout is the gateway to East Dulwich and I have also been rather proud of the way it looks - so much nicer than another grey, ugly junction. I have lived here for 25 years and the traffic still flows fine. I also do not understand why replacing the bricks is any more dangerous now, or more dangerous than replacing water mains with sensible diversion - plus it would be much quicker! I will contact the council and re-post - I hope that I am not in the minority and that everyone will want to preserve this local landmark.

I thought the same thing only the other day. Its saddening how shabby it has become, but I suppose there is little point in repairing it if there are plans to change it. Saying that I think they should hurry up and do so. Talking about Guerrilla Gardening, here is a link to a friend who has been very active in Elephant and Castle. There are tons of small disused and neglected areas around ED that could be brighted up with only a little bit of work. In particular I was thinking about the raised beds opposite KFH on Peckham Rye.

http://www.guerrillagardening.org/onguerrillagardening.html

computedshorty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> In better days before the Palm Tree became

> deceased.

Doesn't look dead to me. A little cold perhaps, but so am I at this time of year. As soon as the temperature warms up it will put out new leaves. A few of the lower (dead) leaf stalks have fallen off but that's what is meant to happen. It's now had a few years to put down a decent root structure so it should start to accelerate in its upward growth.

Not sure whats going on with James re the roundabout, I have asked him the same question, re the roundabout being under a protection order from years ago, however he seems more bothered about ripping apart my SNUB applications, for CGS.

These guys

http://london.groundwork.org.uk/ who provided cash and in kind support for the Dulwich community garden, might be able to help with the roundabout.

The issue with this roundabout is that it is well used and therefore it takes careful planning as to when the repair works can be done. The traffic management plan is being agreed next week and the plan is to avoid as much disruption as possible. The repair works are likely to be done in April on a Sunday during the 2nd and if additionally required 3rd Sunday of the Month. It is timed to avoid holiday periods and busiest times.

Renata

Poppycock.

If the customers of EDT are able to use it as pub garden on occassions then a little more imagination by council officials.

When we proposed the raised entry treatment at the junction of Lordship Lane/East Dulwich Grove council officials told us it was impossible due to traffic management issues - we then reminded them gas and water works had required exactly the same closure in the previous 12 months.

I fear that the amount of effort going into council officials getting the traffic management 'right', they didn't used to have such problems repairing it in the past, will mean the road closures they're proposing will cost a lot of money.

The argument will then be if they're spending so much money they should permanently 'improve' the roundabout.

The lead manager emailed me:

"Details are yet to be finalised and officers are meeting with our contractor this week to agree the traffic management, any required temporary road closures, and the timings of the works. The likelihood is that we will be undertaking the works, probably on a Sunday, during the 2nd (and 3rd if required) weekends in April. This will avoid the Easter weekend and minimise the traffic disruption by Sunday working".

At 7am on a Sunday you'd barely need a traffic cone to keep the workers safe from traffic. Surely two men with stop/go boards would be enough. Or is there some sudden rush of traffic that I've never seen. So let's see; one truck, one van, two men to do the work and two men to hold the stop/go boards. Half an hour for someone in the office to write the method statement, half a tonne of blocks/bricks, three bags of cement, some sand, a wheelbarrow and a cement mixer.......... Has anyone done the sums yet?

James, if they do come back with an argument for 'improving' the roundabout, to whom do I write to request a copy of their calculations (Freedom of Information Act request)? It should be a good laugh to see what they come up with.