UK - US Extradition Treaty

Nick1962

I've still yet to see a breakdown, I imagine, as all ready speculated on, that the majority are countries attempting to repatriate their own citizens to face justice rather than give up our own citizens to face foreign justice.

How many of those are uk citizens to the US and vice versa? ...bueller?

And remember, they have five times our population and about 50 times our prison population so they probably have a great deal more people trying to flee justice.!

• 2 months later...

Extradited Briton Christopher Tappin granted bail in US

Bail has been set at $1m (?620,000), of which $50,000 (?31,000) must be posted up front.

On March 5, Judge Robert Castaneda ruled that Tappin must remain in custody after prosecutors asked that he be detained for the duration of the proceedings because he "posed a flight risk". Assistant US attorney Greg McDonald told the court that "the risk is not that he'll punch somebody in the face, but through the use of a computer and the knowledge he has, he might pose a danger to the community." On March 8, Karen Todner (Tappin's solicitor in the UK) urged the British government to intervene over the bail refusal. Eventually, on April 25 2012, Tappin was granted bail on condition that he wore an electronic tracking tag at all times. Additionally, his ability to travel was restricted to within two Texas counties as well as the border city of El Paso for court appearances. (Emphasis added.)

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Tappin

The problem with US law is that DAs or the DoJ use plea baragaining as leverage to get convictions, even of the innocent...there is much competition in US 'justice' and any prosecutor needs to get results. They have about an 80% conviction rate, weay, way above any other liberal democracy. They bring enpormous pressure on their victims and threats of a long/indefinite incarceration plus hugely costly trial (which I think under thir system you don't get money back if found innocent) or plead guilty and get a far reduced sentence. It's really only the megar rich that can afford to take this on, it's trade off of a few years vs 20+ and bankruptcy. I knew one of the Nat West Three and work in an industry (online gaming) where the pressure on individuals has led to plea baragians from people who really believe they were innocent against charges bought to them and advised they might have a good case BUT it's a massive gamble. Almost nothing to do with justice.

In proportion to the US, England probably convicts as many, if not more, innocents, in my experience.

The arcane ?sausage machine? that is the English Criminal Justice System is still rife with dishonesty and corruption.

We no longer hear about the scandals because since 1997 the CCRC has been blocking the referral of serious miscarriages of justice and wrongful convictions from being heard by the Court of Appeal in order to protect the sausage machine from being brought into disrepute and/or undermining public confidence in law and order.

The CCRC strikes again: Family killer Jeremy Bamber fails in appeal bid

The CCCR?s block has kept the fresh evidence away from public scrutiny and ensured that it can never again be raised as grounds for an Appeal.

What is the point of having a fresh evidence rule when the reviewing body can override it?

What is the point of having a Court of Appeal when the reviewing body can pre-empt its decision?

Oh well, it doesn't need a great deal of imagination to suggest that if there was a serious point to be made about the Natwest bunch, that a billion dollar fraudster such as Conrad Black wasn't the best guy to make it.

Regarding US justice, I don't think any of us need a moment of clarity to highlight its failings.