Announcement about the Goose Green fence

Mark

I'm a dog owner and do think it is better to have a dog free area, either as it is, or switch to the other side of the fence. I think the only problem is that the gates need to be self-closing because few dogs will be able to resist going through a gate that has been left open, which doesn't make it very dog free!

If the fence is removed, I think there should be an investigation into why so much money was spent on it in the first place and if the person/people responsible put it in without proper consultation they should be held to account.

Dogs can be one of the irritations of life. But things have got better; it?s not really that long ago since dogs were simply put out of the house for exercise - and if anybody picked up after them they would probably be considered perverted.

Unfortunately, where there are dogs there is dog poo, no matter how well intentioned the owners are. Despite this, Goose Green has always been well used for all sorts of purposes.

It may be news to some, but nobody likes wading through the stuff ? even dog owners! But consider the health risks to the poor children. Er . . . wait a minute, the poor children already have a special, protected play space at the Green. Oops! That argument loses some emotional kneejerkiness.

Goose Green is the nearest thing we have to a village green. Sure you can carve it up with fences and segregate people as a sledge hammer to a difficulty rather than address the obvious: Don?t allow dog owners to let their dogs leave crap. Don?t allow dogs to be out of control. Enforce the regulations. Let?s stay together as a community. ? Nah! let?s just fence off some people!

Goose Green is a historic open space. Shouldn?t it be protected as a whole, rather than crudely sanitised for some?

Accusations of incomer ponsification of East Dulwich roll off the back like the proverbial water, but if we are to have enclosures can I make a bid for separate ones for drunks, drug dealers, spoilt whingey children, arrogant buggy pushers, men with poor fashion sense and those at imminent risk of throwing up?

(Now if she had doggy children, she wouldn?t be saying that!)