Where to livein Dulwich near DCPS

Hi All

My son has recently been offered admission to DCPS which is on Gallery Road in Dulwich. We currently do not stay in this area and are now looking to rent a property nearby (before we finally buy something). I would really appreciate some thoughts from people living locally in this area as I know locals can offer the best perspective.

Our main criterion are:

a). A decent size house / flat (currently we have a 1200 sq feet flat with a garden and are used to the size)

b). Not too far from DCPS (preferably on way to over ground station)

c). Near to a station that has direct connection to London Bridge

d). Safe neighbourhood (important)

I currently pay ?1500 p.m in rent and can go up to ?200-300 higher but not much.

Will we get something fitting our criterion in our budget?

Will really appreciate comments / suggestions.

Hi - I'm guessing that you've happened upon this forum because of the word "Dulwich" in the title.

DCPS / Gallery Road is in Dulwich Village, which as a neighbourhood very close to East Duwlich but it is a different area.

The closest station to DCPS/Gallery Road is West Dulwich however this is not on a line to London Bridge, trains go to Victoria. You could change one station down the line (Herne Hill) and go to Blackfriars/Farringdon but you might consider that too faffy.

For London Bridge via rail then you're better off looking for places not too far from North Dulwich station. Unfortunately for you this is at the northern end of Dulwich Village whereas DCPS is at the southern end. This means dropping your son at DCPS then heading to the station is going to be a long walk (I'm guessing about 15 mins walking from DCPS to North Dulwich). In terms of rentals I'd suggest that you contact the numerous estate agents in Dulwich Village and see what they have in your price range.

They are:

Hamptons, Harvey & Wheeler, Spencer Kenedy, Pedders, Kinleigh Folkyard and Hayward.

Hope that helps.

Ask an estate agent about Great Brownings (off college rd). Not to everyone's taste but we rented a 3 bedroom house there for ?1,100. communal gardens, but tons of it. Not sure of square footage- our current place is about 1000 square feet, but the house we rented was about twice the size and included a very large garage.

Thanks all for your responses. I understand that the kind of money I am preparing to spend won't take me very far in the village. So these areas which you suggested West Dulwich, Sydenham Hill, Gypsy Hill, and Crystal Palace etc.

How does one commute from these areas to the school and then back to nearest station because during my short visit to the area I did not remember seeing many buses. I have a car but don't think it will be a practical option in the morning when I will be competing with parents for parking space and will have to drop the car back home before I head to station.

Also Jonny, you mention Great Brownings. When you say not to eveyone's taste - can you please elaborate a bit more.

thanks

Great Brownings is a '60s built estate. Not to everybody's taste aesthetically, and not close to any sort of town centre/shops/etc, so feels rather isolated. It's certainly a very safe/quiet area though.

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/great_brownings_dulwich_village_se21_7hp_93641412769427176.jpg

You can get a no. 3 bus from Crystal Palace, or the bottom of Gypsy Road/Hill along Croxted Rd that will take you quite close. It stops near West Dulwich Station which is within walking distance of DCPS.

You can link up with this bus at Crystal Palace from most places in the area, including Sydenham, Penge, Forest Hill etc.

For my money I'd look at Pymers Mead on South Croxted Road - architecturally similar to Great Brownings, though the houses won awards I believe and are very well designed. Lots of light & surprisingly spacious, but with the added attraction of being very close to both West Dulwich shops and DCPS. By close I mean easy walking distance for adults and children. definitely worth a look if you can find one to rent.

DCPS is not bad for parking at all compared to somewhere like Jags/Japs

Forest Hill is between 10mins and 30mins depending on traffic.

Has a link to London Bridge and overground to Canada Water and beyond,

and more importantly is affordable compared to Dulwich (east or west).

i.e. for the same money you get a large Victorian Terrace with three or maybe 4 beds

compared to the smaller ones in East Dulwich with a bigger garden to boot.