Commuting during Olympics

jonm

Overground/Underground from FH to Canada Water, then Jubilee Line.

Could be that we are just far enough away to avoid the predicted jams, restrictions & price rises,

yet near enough to have a 45 min journey time.

Greenwich may be a bit more awkward to get too though. As traffic there is bad with normal volumes. Heaven knows how they are going to cope with a few thousand more commuters? River-bus maybe?

The East London Line phase 2 is expected to open December with the annual Network Rail timetable changes. The closure of the South London Line was explained as beign a requirement of ELL2. So doubt ELL2 will open thatm uch earlier but would be delighted if it did.

London Bridge is predicted to be the worst affected station - probably as much or more to do with The Shard opening just before the Olympics as the Olympics.

Avoiding London Bridge use East London Line from Honoro Oak or Forest Hill and change at Canada Water onto Jubliee Line to Stratford.

Cycling.

Bus to Lewisham and DLR.

Apologies for the ignorance of my initial post. As stupid as it sounds, before today, I did not realise just how much the Olympics would impact my daily commute to work, through London Bridge.

Chippy Minton - The TFL link proved very useful for me, thanks!

1. The Government says it will be one big party all should come to London

2. They say GO on Holiday during the Olympics

3. They say Don't go on Holiday during the Olympics

4. Work From Home During The Olympics.

5. Then then say Go to the pub during the Olympics.

Its all one big joined up bit of thinking innit !

I may be missing something but most of the events won't be starting at 8.30am in the morning, hard to imagine how my commute through LBG will be too badly impacted. The Shard opening is perhaps more of a worry - at least two mornings a week they have to close the gates to the Underground due to overcrowding at LBG...hard to see that getting any better.

My personal hope for the Olympics is that everyone keeps up this "we all must work from home" story and then I can sit and watch it on TV all day while checking the Blackberry every hour or so.

@SteveUK1978 - you need to factor in the combination of:

- delays getting on to public transport and through interchanges (see the TFL projections)

- delays getting into venues, through search areas etc (could easily be an hour)

Which mean spectators are going to have to set out early for morning sessions.

I travel to Stratford a lot, and go Peckham Rye to London Bridge, then 20 min walk to Liverpool St where there are (virtually empty) trains every 10 mins to Stratford that only take 5 mins. It's about 5-10 mins slower than changing onto the Jubilee Line at London Bridge, slightly more expensive (using pre-pay it counts as 2 journeys), but about 10% as stressful. Personally, I would avoid the Jubilee Line during Games time if at all possible.

The projections do make interesting reading - still it is hard to believe there will be 30 min wait to board trains at 730 in the morning. We shall see. Of course all it will take is an old fashioned Jub Line signal failure or a couple of people pulling the emergency cord on an overcrowded train and it could get really bad in terms waiting times.

Anyway, the most important thing is that we all enjoy the games. I hope that people get to focus on that...not any negatives.