100 advertising panels

dds29

Environment alert! Southwark Council are allowing JC deCaux (huge street advertising company) to erect stand alone 3m x1m illuminated advertising panels for a term of 5 years on sites all over Southwark. Each one has to be presented on the council's website planning pages. Then everyone has an opportunity to check them out. I noticed one was proposed for the pavement opposite Nigel Rd, made it known to others in the area, we sent in objections and it was refused. However, another one proposed for outside 24 Peckham Rye,(Lane)next to Nigel Rd has now appeared. If you care about the environment, please go to Southwark Council website (Planning Register)and look at the proposal, ref. no. 11-AP-4185, or phone planning officer Amy Lester 02075255452 for details. If you agree with me that it's unnecessary, ugly and inappropriate for this site, please object! The consultation deadline is 11th February. Where might the next one be...?

Correction: the proposed panel is in fact outside the Halifax Building Society at 24 Rye Lane. Where the council has recently improved the road and pavements. A panel there is still unnecessary, unattractive and in the way.

I think this is about aesthetic pollution, not physical pollution. The government doesn't have any taste, nor do they require local authorities to have any. [This is outwith planning issues covering listed or otherwise protected areas, where it is not so much an issue of taste as of fixed rules about preservation of an area's style, however tasteful or not it is.]

Unfortunately, when local authorties are having their budgets cut they have to go to other forms of money making. This will be bringing in money which they need. I'm not saying they should all be allowed, and location is everything, but personally I think an advertisment stand along Rye Lane (a commerical shopping street) is not a massive problem.

Cardiffgirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Unfortunately, when local authorties are having

> their budgets cut they have to go to other forms

> of money making. This will be bringing in money

> which they need. I'm not saying they should all be

> allowed, and location is everything, but

> personally I think an advertisment stand along Rye

> Lane (a commerical shopping street) is not a

> massive problem.

Putting one of these signs on the pavement immediately outside of a row of Georgian houses might be offensive to some (I'd be screaming) but on Rye Lane I'm hard pressed to see how they could bring down the tone. Something shiny and modern might actually suggest a potential for economic recovery.

It maybe a commercial shopping street to you, but it's home to me and the op

We work hard on what happens around us in Co-op house.

Wrote:

> Unfortunately, when local authorties are having

> their budgets cut they have to go to other forms

> of money making. This will be bringing in money

> which they need. I'm not saying they should all be

> allowed, and location is everything, but

> personally I think an advertisment stand along Rye

> Lane (a commerical shopping street) is not a

> massive problem.

Agreed. Just because Rye Lane is less than aesthetically pleasing in places doesn't mean we should actively make it worse. We should be constantly looking for opportunities to improve aesthetics.

There is far too much pointless street furniture in Britain's towns and cities, and certainly too much advertising relentlessly bombarding us.

James - any ideas on how this can be tackled effectively beyond large amounts of cemtex?

Yes - I understand Rye Lane for some is their home and of course you want to keep it nice. However, when determining whether an advertisment stand is acceptable you have to look at the character of the site as a whole. Rye Lane is a commercial street characterised by illuminated signs. It would be a difficult argument to say that the proposed signs are inappropriate to the charcater and appearance of the area?

I imagine each proposal will be considered on its merit - and apologies for what may have seemed like a flippant comment but I personally do not think that the character of Rye Lane will be made worse for the installation of an advertisment sign.

?80,000 may not be much in the context of Southwark Council's budget as a whole, however, every little helps surely?

If you read English Heritage's report, you will see that Rye Lane has both historic and architectural merit.

I would hope that, rather than continue to desecrate this street with yet more lumionous monstrosities advertising pointless geegaws that no one needs, the council would begin to look at restoring the Lane to its former glories.

A journey of a 1000 miles begins by stopping these hideous neon disfigurements.

Why does everything have to be so god damn ugly all the time?

The proposed redevelopment of the Peckham Rye Station seems on the order of what transformed Herne Hill so full marks there.

I'm not sure a few lit hoardings are going to make or break an area.

Not getting a good deal... not having any idea how to research and negotiate professionally not knowing how to make timely linked up decisions that minimize waste and maximize output (I'm sure Southwark is not unique but we live here) this observation of the council appointments and decision making and decision makers (irregardless of party in power I'd hazard a quess) must change now.

Cardiffgirl Wrote:

> ?80,000 may not be much in the context of Southwark Council's budget as a whole, however,

> every little helps surely?

It would just about pay for the next dodgy CPZ consultation!!

(sorry... couldn't help myself)

It's not in Rye Lane. There is some confusion in the planning register too- It's called 'Peckham Rye.' Written on the wall above the parade of shops next to the White Horse pub and Nigel Rd. It's where the road opens out towards Rye Common, and has recently had extraneous street furniture removed from it, road improvements, and conservation area status conferred.

We are trying to improve it, not extend the brash commerce of Rye Lane proper.

Are we really becoming so immune to in your face advertising like this that we don't care if it's there or not, never mind where it's put? Aren't bus shelters and massive sides of buildings enough?

I find the whole principle of these panels an affront.

Correction: The different names plus an error on google maps (the photo is not of 24 Rye Lane) led to the assumption that the panel would be placed as described above; however, it will be in Rye Lane outside the Halifax Building Society. Where council money has improved pavements and roads recently.

It would still be clutter, unnecessary, in the way and could be a screen as there is a cash dispenser there.

david_carnell Wrote:

> Agreed.

Peckham and Peckham rye are awfull places anyway. I'm sure if it was big posters offering parent and toddler coffee mornings there would be no obstruction by the typical easy Dulwich resident.

david_carnell Wrote:

> Agreed.

Peckham and Peckham rye are awfull places anyway. I'm sure if it was big posters offering parent and toddler coffee mornings there would be no obstruction by the typical easy Dulwich resident.

Advertising board for pizzas on East Dulwich Road/signs for walls in Lordship lane bring howls of fury,whereas in Rye Lane/Peckham Rye it doesn't matter? After all it's only run down derelict old peckham. It does all sound a bit nimbyistic.