What's the most anonymous shop/restaurant on LL?

Muttley

Some places on Lordship Lane have had more than their fair share of coverage - White Stuff, Green & Blue, Le Chandelier, the odd estate agent, you know the usual suspects. But there are other places that barely, if ever, get a mention. Perhaps with good reason. How about some reviews of LL's most anonymous places. Here are three whose portals I have never entered:

Speedo Pizza

Finger Lickin Chicken (soon to be replaced by the new bakers)

His Lordship Launderette - I think that's its name.

Anyone know the people who work there? What's their story?

kford Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The funeral shop opposite the Mexican joint

Yes, interesting, with the changing demographics of East Dulwich, I wonder how the funeral business has been recently. Three funeral parlours (?) on Lordship Lane, what goes on behind their net curtains?

I used to work for a funeral directors and I have to say it was an honour of a job, real special work, a lovely caring people. I learned so much. And I believe it's one of the few jobs where - when someone comes in and they're in a state (or sometimes not...) - and it's your job to calm them, help them make the choices they did not know they had - and they THANK you for that work. It's precious. But badly paid. I was just a receptionist and administrator. Not one of the directors or people who actually deal with the dead bodies. But yes, when people asked me what I did during those few years I did answer in a whisper, "I see dead people". And the pay SUCKS.

So what abot that organic food shop then near the cheese block. They any good?

> So what abot that organic food shop then near the

> cheese block. They any good?

You mean SMBS? From the name you'd think they wanted a low profile (what do the letters SMBS stand for??), but they're a widely reviewed and much-loved East Dulwich institution. Would probably feature in many people's 'Top 5' for favourite SE22 shops.

AllforNun Wrote:

> The little fancy dress shop near Irish shop - lots

> of fun. The guy with the Fez is always very

> amusing, I think the suit of armour is the best

> hire.

I'd have expected this post to be by MrBen rather than AllforNun.

SMBS = opposite of anonymous for me. Agree about the queues though. And whilst I don't mind queuing (see threads passim on William Rose) the size of the shop in SMBS means it can get uncomfortable. Great place though, and best selection of fresh herbs I've found in the area

The Kodak/Photo shop opposite Liqourice is pretty anonymous - I've been there a few times but it hardly registers

one of the first things I did when I moved here sean#2!

It's as delightfully strange as one would imagine - Graham Linehan couldn't make it up

The sort of music that my Mum played on a Sunday morning, Odlums flour, Galtee bacon, sausage and black pudding, papers from around Ireland (The Leitrim Learner, The Galway GollyGoshYouDon'tSay!, etc etc)

AAH the amusement arcade is a mystery we watch people go in and never come out!!!! Do they have a secret back door,i once went in asked for change because i missed the bank and it had 2 very secretive looking doors and strange music coming from beyond it

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> Ohhhh I did not realise that organic grocers /

> greengrocers was called SMBS, sorry. Yes it is

> very well reviewed.

> So um anonymous shops? Dunno. What about the shop

> further up the lane sells brooms and buckets and

> flower pots and sponges and stuff like that.....

> :)

Do you mean Farmers? Not anonymous at all - just goes to prove that one person's anonymous is another person's linchpin of LL.