suspicious edf energy man has blue car and not asking to come on your property

Google

I thought i would bring this up, not sure if its there way of working, but there is an edf energy guy driving arround the area in a blue car and edf jacket, and he walked on to our property in basement without permision in meter cupboard,

by the time we got to the door he was in another house, we all went up to him and asked whats his purpose he claims routine check up, but thing is we are not with edf, but with british gas, he claims it was a mistake and sorry, "but he didnt even knock" we asked company details , he said edf engery honour ok, but theres no company there, sounds suppicious, i thought anyone like that would have to knock first.

i think its time to install cameras these days.

I live in one of the roads near ED Station and the police came round earlier this evening to say that someone on an adjoining road had been burgled - apparently there are people posing as gas / electric people coming in to read meters etc - don't let anyone in unless they have official id.

so do i, it was an edf energy guy, edf is short for something...but as of the other posts it wasnt just our road then,

but strangely enough just before that we had a european guy nock the door, my grand mother answered, he claimed he come to fix a car batterie, my nan was non the wiser and come to call me, i came downstairs he was half waiting in the hallway, its a good job my nan was there i politley moved him on.

that we had a european guy nock the door, my grand mother answered, he claimed he come to fix a car batterie,

The garage in Hindemans Road employs a young eastern european mechanic - quite tall, light haired, very nice (and competent) guy, in his early twenties - in the past the garage has sent someone out to sort out my car battery (they now fail catastophically, rather then giving hints about getting old as they did in the past so that you had time to get them replaced).

So it is possible that the caller was genuine, but had called at the wrong house.

• 2 weeks later...
About once a year for the last two years I have benn visited by someone claiming to be from edf. He said it was to read the electricity meter, which he the did. As it is in the communal hallway and not in my home, I wasn't worried, but afterwards I wonderded what it had to do with edf. I contacted my supplier (OVO Energy) and they advised me to refuse access. They claimed to be unaware of why edf would do this. Maybe edf are building profiles of potential customers prior to making a sales call.

Meter reading is contracted out to readers who look at meters in an area; they often carry id from the dominant supplier - as edf is in London - so probably the man saying he was from edf was a kosher meter reader and was just 'guessing' who your supplier was - the infrastructure which runs into your property will be edf's (i.e. they bought the distribution network in the areas they initially supplied, in your case the old LEB infrastructure) - you are now buying supply from another supplier, but it is still being delivered over old LEB wires 'owned' now by edf. I doubt very much whether you are being visited by a regular once-a-year burglar re-casing your joint, or an edf salesman. It is a legal requirement that every property is visited at least once a year for a 'live' reading rather than relying just on estimated usage. As 'dominant' supplier locally edf will arrange that. It would be hugely inefficient just to send a dedicated OVO reader to OVO supplied properties.

The service operatives of your supplier probably have no idea (where you live) what the local meter reading arrangments are.

computedshorty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > Suspicious edf man has blue car and not asking

> to come on your property

>

> Why does an East Dulwich Forum Member want to

> come onto your property?

> A lot of members have a blue car, I have one.

> Yeah

edf in as being energy supplier, not East Dulwich Forum Member.