Long wait for appt. at DMC

Upon booking an appt. for the doctor at DMC i was told the next available slot was Feb 7th - a full 2 weeks away. Is this normal or should i pretend it's an emergency next time? I note their website states that "If your condition is not urgent then you will be offered an appointment to see your doctor within two working days or you can choose a convenient time up to two weeks in advance".

Even if it's urgent you won't get an appointment unless you are one of the lucky ones that manages to get through when calling at 8 am in the morning. I've tried to get an appointment and kept getting an engaged signal and by the time I finally got through all the appointments have gone.

I think they have too many patients for the number of doctors.

I was talking about Crystal Palace Road. I've pretty much given up on them too.

We have a private GP service at work and unless I am too sick to go to work, I tend to go there.

If I am too sick to go in I tend to end up at the out of hours Seldoc service at the old hospital. I've also been to the drop in medical centre in Peckham.

Same story more or less everywhere in my experience. At Queens Road Partnership you usually can't get an appointment for about 2 weeks. They have to have on the day appointments availalbe but when you try to call you as soon as they open the lines you can never get through, then when you do they tell you all the appointments for that day have already gone. The only way to get seen seems to be to turn up on the day early, before they open at 8am, and join the queue for a same day appointment.

It just seems so foolish that the system appears to be set up for those who are able to wait around all day for an appt. surely most patients have jobs to get to? I have emailed the practice manager and await to hear, although interestingly, the last time i emailed her on the same issue she rustled up an appointment the next day, which was nice, but only made me think that if i'd made more of a fuss with reception i might have had more luck.

I have just phoned for an appointment with a named and specific doctor at my surgery (not DMC) and was offered first thing Monday morning. I would expect to see 'any old physician' within 24 hours (lapsed, not working, but of course not at weekends) tops. On Saturday my daughter called Seldoc at 8.00 and was in the surgery by 10:30.

This is a standard I would expect across ED. If you are not getting it I would demand it, or change supplier.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have just phoned for an appointment with a named

> and specific doctor at my surgery (not DMC) and

> was offered first thing Monday morning. I would

> expect to see 'any old physician' within 24 hours

> (lapsed, not working, but of course not at

> weekends) tops. On Saturday my daughter called

> Seldoc at 8.00 and was in the surgery by 10:30.

>

> This is a standard I would expect across ED. If

> you are not getting it I would demand it, or

> change supplier.

So which GP surgery in East Dulwich do you go to?

I too had the same experience at DMC Crystal Palace Road yesterday - no appt til 7th Feb. I made the point that I cant call at 8am normally as I am on the tube to work. It also took me 17 minutes to get through to find out I couldn't get an appointment for 2 weeks.

Ironically, I just moved from DMC Chadwick Road due to location and have never had any problems getting an appointment at Chadwick Road in 7 + years I was there.

Wish I hadn't now.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> Indiepanda

>

> I go to the Practice at 1 Forest Hill Road.

Thanks Penguin68. That's actually nearer to me than the one on Crystal Palace Road (I moved from living on CPR last year) so I will look into moving :-)

CPT DMC - I called at 8.15 this morning and was given various options for a doctor today.

Took a midday appointment, was seen on time and I was the ONLY person in that waiting room at midday. Strange!!!

I will usually get an appointment the day I call but often will wait up to 45 mins later than my actual appointment time once I'm there.

Today was an unexpected pleasure.

treehugger Wrote:

> 1 Forest Hill Road is an EXCELLENT practice (I

> have been goign there for 20 years) and have never

> had a bad experience or an undue wait for an

> appointment.

They're not perfect but I wouldn't take any money to move to another practice

I have two small children so often call at 8am for an appointment that day. I've never failed to get one. Often I've been offered an appointment for as soon as 9.15.

I suspect priority is given to certain patients ie babies and elderly but even when the appointment has been for me or my partner I can't think of an occasion we have failed to get one, although we rarely need them.

Non urgent appointments are usually fairly in advance but given the non urgent nature it's never been a problem.

Agree 8am the switchboard is busy but by simply redialling you soon get a line in, takes 5/10 mins max.

I, too, asked for a doctor's appointment at DMC and was told there was not one for another two weeks. I then asked for another doctor by name and was told it was the same waiting time for an appointment. Before the practice moved to the new premises, it was possible to see Dr. Gupta, senior, without an appointment on the same day. You just had to take your turn and wait maybe half an hour but at least you knew you would be seen. What's gone wrong?

I agree, being able to get an appt. on the same day is great if you have the flexibility to wait around all day for whatever time you are allotted, but taking a day off work for something that isn't really an emergency seems a little excessive - a system somewhere in between would be better.