Break-ins & burgularys: East Dulwich Road area

flong

I live in a block of flats on the SE15 side of Peckham Rye. The block is 5 storeys high ie. ground plus four above. Access is via a communal stairwell accessible from the carpark. At the top floor of the stairwell is a ladder which starts about 6 foot off the ground, as it were, and so thieves got up that ladder, smashed the trapdoor and crawled into the roof / loft. They crawled to the space above my upstairs neighbours flat and made a hole into his living room ceiling.

I heard the crashing and assumed something had fallen so I knocked on his door. After a while I asked if he was alright and heard someone say "Yes, something fell off the cabinet." I went downstairs and thought no more of it. I now feel absolutely awful. The voice was an English accent and my neighbours are Eastern European. They came home a few hours later to devastation. They called the police. I called the police. The police DID NOT COME. I do not know if they have come even today (though they said they would). The Scene of Crime Officers were also due to come today.

I feel awful I should have called the police at the time. But would they have come?

Lesson: We are on our own.

We can NOT rely on the police.

Sniff...

The problem is that in South London there is so much street/violent crime, that the police have their work cut out already. If there's no immediate danger, I don't think you'll be treated as a priority. Perhaps you might be able to speed them up by saying that you think the thieves are still around.

Hi all

Just had a meeting with Sanjay Rai a policeman who came round to discuss the burglary above.

Any information about any burglaries should go to the Burglary Squad at Peckham Police Station.

020 7232 7212.

Meanwhile, I have information that under political pressure a whole load of burglars were released from prison at the same time recently, and went out and burgled the area all in one go. That's politics.

Finally, and this is not widely publiciced and I heard this from the grapevine, but there is political pressure to dispose of the very useful services of the Crime Prevention Officers. If you want their free advice call STEVE MORRIS for advice on Crime Prevention. He will arrange to come round your home and discuss possible weak spots etc. I do not

have his number but if you call 020 73781212 or your local police station in Dulwich, you can ask for him. The more his services are used the better it will be for all.

Get to know your neighbours, write on a sheet of paper your addresses and names and phone numbers of you and your neighbours and then photocopy and distribute it to your neighbours so if anything looks suspicious you can call one another up and ask about it. We only have one another. The political pressure on the police force is such that we can not rely on them because their services are in disarray and their political masters (incl New Labour affiliated Ian Blair) are not helping things. It is like the education system and NHS. Top down target ridden league table culture.

Happy Christmas!

Just to throw this handgranade in the mix

Some time back there was an incident in Nunhead in one of the backstreets that threatened to get out of control, the police were called straight away. 1hour later and several more phone calls they still had not arrived. It was early evening and not a weekend. Some of the locals pacified the situation and caught some of the offenders, the police still did not arrive -eventually some 1.5 hours later the police eventually threatened to arrest the next person that called them, so I did and I asked them to come and arrest me, as well as telling them in no unceratin terms how let down we all felt. They never came and the culprits eventually went on their way.

2 hours later I was in a road near Dulwich village when someone tried to put an object through a car window, they fled and the car amazingly was undamaged, the police arrived within 5 minutes ?

Absolutely true.

Oh no don't do that michael - after all you are single handedly propping our Public Houses up with all your private sector coinage. And who would we laugh at on a sunday, with your silk shirts, French wigs and powdered face. Are you still carrying your rapier with you ?

It could just be coincidence or circumstance or it could be that the local police have views about certain areas that may need to be addressed. They should not be reacting to calls depending on the level of politcal/residential pressure that may be applied after the event.