Who started the regeneration of East Dulwich as a shopping centre?

macroban

"As I understand it, the extension of the Victoria Line from Brixton to Croydon would have gone through East Dulwich."

Well, it's certainly the first I've ever heard of such as plan. I'm fascinated and, yes, if true, you're right it would have made a massive difference to ED and the regeneration of its shopping area - although it didn't do much for Brixton. Do tell us more, and please link to a reliable source that gave rise to your understanding of this significant development for ED. Perhaps macroban can help?

"Perhaps someone could shed some light on the possible proposed Victoria Line extension through ED. It's something that I remember hearing some time ago, that's all."

Did the person you heard it from have any basic knowledge of the geography of south London?

Someone mentioned an extension of the VictoriaLine to Herne Hill, which might have been conceivable. However, as far as I'm aware, the original* Victoria Line plan would have taken the line to Streatham, which is also in a direct line from Brixton to Croydon. I cannot see the point, likelihood or economic benefit to south London of the massive cost of a diversion to ED from that route, but I'm quite prepared to be proved wrong. But facts please, not fantasy.

*I am talking post-WW2 here macroban, btw, and also a plan that relates to the current VL.

Frisco Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I hope all this excitement doesn't affect the

> heart scan I'm having to have tomorrow* at Kings!

Have you got a heart Frisco? If they find it hope all is well with you. I enjoy your acerbity even if others find it a bit of a challenge.

"Have you got a heart Frisco?"

I have EDO, but it may not (as with with other parts of my body) be fully functioning at the moment.

"I enjoy your acerbity even if others find it a bit of a challenge."

Thank you, I aim to entertain (and not just myself!). ;-) Discussion can be lively and doesn't have to be boring, and ED and regeneration in general, isn't boring for me. I even like transport history, in the right context. Sad, eh?

Thanks, for your good wishes re. tomorrow. I have to admit that I'm pretty nervous about it.

"I take it you won't be at the Plough tomorrow night then?"

I've never been in it in over 20 years here, and the pubs of ED (or anywhere else) don't hold much allure for me now that I'm not supposed to drink any alcohol. :'(

They wouldn't have been able to modernise and regenerate on the basis of my pub spending - although I'm sure fizzy water is more expensive than a pint in ED. I'm going to give the oyster bar (there's regeneration/gentrification for you) in ED Warehouse a try though, sans white wine accompaniment.

2. This may be naive but I remember hearing that South London didn't have v. good tube links because of the Victorian sewers weakening the ground (as in Blackheath Hill a few years ago).

The Blackheath Hill issue had nothing to do with sewers, it was due to (mostly unmarked) tunnels that remained from unauthorised mining excavations in the 18th and 19th centuries. What they were mining for or what they hoped to find, I don't really know.

I'm not sure the sewer theory holds much water (geddit?), as the same issue would have affected tube developments north of the river, and also the southern parts of the Northern and Bakerloo lines.

Oh, and I certainly don't want microban to stop posting either. I too usually enjoy reading his posts.

According to the SLP last year (Feb 10 2006):

In an email seen by the South London Press, Mr Livingstone (Ken) said TfL and London Underground (LU) were now "taking a 20-year look ahead".

He said: "LU is starting to examine the potential for extending lines to serve inner South London, including areas like Camberwell.

"This could include extending the Bakerloo line from Elephant & Castle, extending the Northern line from Kennington or the Victoria line from Brixton."

Incidentally, one of the problems cited over any plans to extend the Victoria Line southwards is the chronic overcrowding on the tube platforms at Victoria itself. Access into the tube from the overground station is often closed for minutes at a time in the morning peak.

This will be addressed with a huge new upgrade project at Victoria that is already under way - although so far they are only removing asbestos. More here.

I think the EDT makeover seven or eight years ago was pretty influential because it was in such a prime location. It was very different when it was known as the East Dulwich Tavern, although the Blue Mountain cafe may have kickstarted it. If this is the case I would keep an eye on Sydenham as two key, similar things have happened here. The owners of the Darmtmouth Arms in Forest Hill took over and madeover the Doplhin at the bottom of Sydenham high street a year ago and Blue Mountain has recently opened a branch at the top. The owners of the EDT have also applied for planning permission to open a bar/restaurant here. The train station is central, so better for transport and there are a lot of parks and leafy roads, with great architecture.

Ok Keef, the Dolphin might not be the most imaginatively designed pub inside, but it is very, very family friendly, which is ideal for this area. I haven't been inside the EDT, the Bishop etc with my daughter or a newborn baby. But do you see wall to wall Bugaboo et al pushchairs inside those places during the day? I wouldn't have thought so, outside maybe. And the garden is ideal in summer for whole family gatherings. The food in the Dolphin is also pretty good.

Yes, I have been to the Hearne and the facilites for families are pretty good but the veggie option I had one lunchtime a few months ago (I think there was only one) was pretty poor. It isn't close to Lordship Lane either. Isn't that area known as Peckham Rye?