Rye Lane gas works and buses

I've walked down the lane from the station to Nigel Road to get a bus a few times since the "bus ban" and have noticed far more "normal" vehicles - the type usually banned - than ever before. Private hire, Uber, vans, cars etc. are driving and parking. If they can, why can't the buses?

So are the zebra crossing and built-out pavements in Copeland Road relatively new? I don't think the bus frequencies have created more volume. Or have the rules changed in the last few years? As was mentioned upthread, on both previous occasions when Rye Lane was closed for months, there was a stop there.

I emailed TFL & also tweeted my request for some kind of stop en route/ nr Station but received this reply from TFL buses:

" Unfortunately we are unable to place a temporary bus stop due to safety reasons. Apologies for any inconvenience"

Not clear on this safety?

A temporary stop has been in place before.

Also it would benefit Rye Lane traders to have more people being able to access their businesses so what do Southwark Council have to say to help them?

Sally Eva Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> they are relatively new -- maybe 5yrs ish

Which, as far as I recall, is after the last major shut-down. How unfortunate although I'm still a little surprised there's no room. The 'three' bus rule didn't seem to a problem when the junction of Blenheim Grove and Rye Lane and temp lights and the bus stop still running. The bus drivers and passengers seemed to cope.

However, as a pedestrian, I do think that I'd rather walk along Rye Lane later in the evening (as Sally says, it's relatively busy with quite a few businesses open late) and wait outside Tesco rather than wait on the much quieter Copeland Rd. It's more the morning that I've heard the change being bemoaned when people are running late for a train and it's a further jog to just make it than the stop under the bridge.

TFL on twitter ( thank you for posting ElliottW ) say

"The section of Copeland Road near the junction of Sandling Close we are unable to site a temporary stop because there is not enough space so if we had three buses serve the stop at the same time which is highly likely then there is a zebra crossing as well as that it is on a bend in the road. So if a bus stops at the temporary stop another vehicle will overtake it and there is highly risk that there would be a head on collision with another vehicle heading in the opposite direction. As well as that you may have a vehicle and pedestrian incident because the zebra crossing is so close. Also there is a tree which needed to be cut back to accommodate the buses."

Concerns about the zebra crossing do seem valid ,possibly also the overtaking factor .

Maybe the risk assessment has become more stringent since the last diversion .

FredCasa Wrote:

> They could temporarily make it a one-way street

> again (which it used to be). This would create

> more space for a bus stop.

I agree with that idea - it's going to be 13months of work

fleur Wrote:

> Also it would benefit Rye Lane traders to have

> more people being able to access their businesses

> so what do Southwark Council have to say to help

> them?

The Rye Lane traders can apply for compensation for loss of earnings from the gas company doing the works, but that appears to be all.

Southwark Council should really be pressing TfL for space for an temporary bus stop close to Peckham Rye station as possible in the northbound direction or at least giving drivers advice to direct passengers to the train station at the Nigel Road bus stop.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> TFL on twitter ( thank you for posting ElliottW )

> say

> "The section of Copeland Road near the junction of

> Sandling Close we are unable to site a temporary

> stop because there is not enough space so if we

> had three buses serve the stop at the same time

> which is highly likely then there is a zebra

> crossing as well as that it is on a bend in the

> road. So if a bus stops at the temporary stop

> another vehicle will overtake it and there is

> highly risk that there would be a head on

> collision with another vehicle heading in the

> opposite direction. As well as that you may have a

> vehicle and pedestrian incident because the zebra

> crossing is so close. Also there is a tree which

> needed to be cut back to accommodate the buses."

>

> Concerns about the zebra crossing do seem valid

> ,possibly also the overtaking factor .

> Maybe the risk assessment has become more

> stringent since the last diversion .

This bus diversion affects the small traders significantly as well as train station and bus users. The Rye Lane Traders Association - http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/RLTA, Peckham Vision - http://www.peckhamvision.org and Copeland Park - https://www.copelandpark.com - asked the Council in the autumn to get a temporary bus stop on both Copeland Rd and Consort Rd but we heard this reason for not doing it on Copeland Rd only in December. The negative comments by bus users are just what we predicted for inevitable and right reasons.

The unhelpful pavement widening without discussion with locals, who could have told them how important Copeland Rd is to town centre diverted traffic, has all been done since the last major diversions. As this one is going on for a whole year or more should we all ask for the pavements to be changed to accommodate a bus stop on Copeland Rd (now it seems one has been agreed on Consort Rd)? It won?t be the last time a diversion is needed in the next decades.

Possibly the best way to get an effective result on this is for everyone who is inconvenienced to email the relevant elected representatives, and CC to Southwark News. If a flood of emails from negatively affected locals gets to them they are more likely to negotiate with TfL and get the gas companies doing the disruptive work to contribute to the cost of creating the place for the bus stop.

If you agree, you could email your experience and comments to all the relevant representatives. You just have to tell them what it is doing to your own journey, whatever that is, and ask them to support action to get a temporary bus stop on Copeland Road and Consort Road. Their emails are below:

your own ward councillors: http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?FN=WARD&VW=TABLE&PIC=1

Rye Lane ward councillors: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Cabinet Member for traffic and transport: [email protected]

Cabinet Member for small businesses: [email protected]

Cabinet Member for Regeneration: [email protected]

London Assembly Member for Southwark: [email protected]

Peckham MP: [email protected]

Southwark News: [email protected]

---

I was in Rye Lane today and it did feel quite eerie - until that is 2 boy racers, at different times, screeched up the lane enjoying the comparative freedom. Luckily nothing was in the way. Lots more cycles too on certain stretches of pavements along the way.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> Eileen that is very helpful indeed and I shall do

> as suggested and email. I'm not bold enough to

> reproduce a copy here but if someone could I think

> that would be a good idea to encourage others .

Hi - thanks for the comment. Yes if someone can post a suggestion or their own that would be helpful. But people can just email explaining the effect the lack of temporary bus stops on Copeland and Consort Rds is having on their own journeys. Doesn't need any complex explanations or suggestions. It is the number of heartfelt emails that will have an effect. A lot of people need to email. Spread the word. I have edited the previous post to explain a bit more.

But here is a starter for an email:

"The diversion of buses because of the Rye Lane gas works is having a terrible effect on my life/journey/whatever you want to say... I have to get to Peckham Rye station and the extra journey from X or Y is ...

I am writing to ask you please to support local requests for temporary bus stops on Copeland Road (near Bournemouth Road) and Consort Road (near Blackpool or Brayards Roads)..."

I understand that TFL's reasons for not having a temporary stop seem dodgy, but I don't think it really matters.

The temporary northbound stop which was placed on Copeland Road (approx opposite Blackpool Road) when Rye Lane was closed for a long time 10+ years ago was actually only marginally nearer to the Bournemouth Road/Rye Lane junction than is the Nigel Road stop. I soon discovered, given the time the bus took between Nigel Road and the temporary stop, that it was quicker to walk to the station from Nigel Road.

Any southbound temporary stop would of course be a long distance from the station, since the diversion doesn't use Copeland Road going south. And walking along Rye Lane to Nigel Road is surely much safer than walking through the back streets.

• 2 months later...