Cloth nappies? Please advise......

embo71

I am due my second girl in April and as my toddler is still in disposable nappies, i am a little appalled by having two in disposable nappies, and therefore considering using cloth ones.

I don't have a tumble dryer (is that an issue?). Am having a girl, should I look for a particular brand that fits girls? Is there anywhere to go and have a look before committing to buying some? Also how many would be a sensible to buy?

Any help from the wise forum brain would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Em

You don't need a tumble drier, I had two children in cloth for over a year and managed fine without - winter is easy as you can use a warm room or your radiators, and an outside washing line is ideal for the warmer months.

In terms of how many you need, it will depend on how often you plan to do washing. Generally I did a nappy wash every other day, and had about 18 nappies which was plenty. In the early months you need more, but as they get older and move into bigger sizes you'll find that you stop using so many.

It's very difficult to know what will suit your baby before she arrives, especially as a first time cloth user. I would suggest looking out for people selling off bits and pieces and build up a small collection of different brands, then once you've been using them for a while decide which ones are best for you and go from there.

Personally I've always found two part nappies better for the first 6 months (where you use a nappy with a waterproof wrap over top) and all in one types once they're weaned (blueberry and Itti Bitti being my favourites).

Good luck. Be warned that cloth nappies can be very addictive!

Also, the Nappy Lady website is great for advice, take a look on there. I've got quite a collection of nappies for my baby (hopefully making an appearance this weekend) - you're very welcome to pop over and have a look at the different styles if you like?

We now have a tumble dryer (naughty us!) but coped for almost a year without - I would definitely look into the drying times on nappies you do choose though. Bumgenius and Flips dry really quickly whereas I found Motherease/ anything with bamboo take ages.

I think you can rent trial packs with loads of different brands, I wish I'd done that, sounds like a great idea! And don't forget the real nappies for London voucher (assuming scheme hasn't been cut that is).

Hi there, I've used cloth nappies for my second baby and don't have a tumble drier - not a problem at all. I wash every other day, hang them out carefully on a clothes airer overnight and then finish them off in the airing cupboard the next day. I agree that you need to try a few different kinds out to see what suits your baby best, as they are all such different shapes and sizes. When my boy was smaller I liked the tots bots easyfits and flips, now I prefer bumgenius organic all-in-ones (very absorbent but slow drying) and fuzzibunz one size elite (amazingly quick drying so great for those of us without a tumble drier). For night time I prefer two part nappies as described by Pickle above and use little lamb bamboo with motherease wrap. You can adapt the absorbent part some types of nappies to suit a boy or a girl e.g. when using the flips on the smaller setting you can fold the insert for double absorbency at the back (for girls) or the front (for boys). I have a few flips I'm planning to sell and am happy to show you the rest of my stash - just PM me if you'd like to pop over. Oh, and a great website for buying nappies is Fill Your Pants - they do some good trial packs which you can pay for using your real nappies for london voucher real nappies for london Enjoy!

This website was invaluable for trying out nappies for cheap then buying new, once I'd found brands that worked:

[www.clothnappytree.com]

Also, its worth knowing that the first three months are the toughest in terms of changing and washing reusables as they poo more and pee more and you're still trying to find your feet in terms of having a second baby! After three months it tends to be less changes, less washing, used to having a second baby by then etc and for us early and rapid potty training so less nappy changes and faff post 18months [which is when our boy chose to begin potty training]. Its also easier to have lots ready to try right from the start so that 'all you know' are reusables. Bit of a nappy addict now too, wasn't expecting that plus point...

On the nappy type? I wouldn't recommend pocket nappies until poo becomes a bit 'firmer' as they tend to leak. They're great after that though when babes are weaning onto solids, easy to dry, easy to use. Fitted nappies with wraps are probably best trying out at the start. Eg 'Little Lamb' bamboo or 'Tots bots' Bamboozles though they do take a while to dry but if you've twenty or so [incl a few different varieties] you should be fine. Everyone seems to like Motherease velcro wraps.

We don't have a tumble drier and its been fine for both babies. It helps to have an outdoor line though from early spring to late autumn. Line drying will cleanse and bleach any stains back to white if washing at 40 degrees, which I do. During winter some radiator hangers are good or a woodburning stove to make room nice and hot for drying...hee hee

All the best with the pregnancy and your impending nappy search! Am happy to show you our nappies if that would help, I've quite a large stash!