parking solution: display time cards

Here's a 23:59 hour "zero" cost solution:

Everyone has to display dashboard time clocks

Parking wardens check that clocks are not set "ahead" throughout the day and this (used all over the continent) system also ensures fair ticketing on free but "timed" parking everywhere.

Residents are identified by their car's MOT/ Tax Disk (Am I correct that this can be read and shows residence?)

This simple solution can be used for all timed parking where fees are not collected.

In general it is certainly the case that "governments" want ways to exploit/ tax demand (ie influence behaviour through price) for revenue. In this case the "demand" is for private fossil fuel transport which studies show is CHEAPER all in than it has ever been before. There are multiples more cars than parking in high residential and shopping areas and hence parking has a premium that can be milked for revenue. If government explicitly acted to shape demand for the common good it might:

mini / electric/ criteria X cars park free

2nd and up cars get taxed per residence! (these are ideas digest them)

cars pay by size (!!!)

no new housing built without off street parking for all occupied units (ground floor dedicated to parking and storage and bicycles)

Everyone pays "parking" charges per year. Not road use charge, that's something else. The right to park, to use space on the street in a propriatory manner. But "government" has to examine the curbs and make sure conflicting painted warnings do not through mindlessness chop up precious space into unuseable bits that then makes illegal parkers out of law abiding citizens

Islington for one uses some of these ideas.

And more cycle lock up hoops, hundreds more everywhere. And crack down on drivers that disrespect pedestrians and cyclists and talk on phones while speeding over humps.

And crack down on people who still 10 years on congest the roads around schools

People driving to East Dulwich Station cannot have a journey of more than a mile. Get out of your cars and walk. Look at all the trouble 20 anonymous people cause.

In Weymouth, Dorset, you can buy cheap scratch cards for a certain number of days per quarter which enable you to park in the central area. This seemed to work. They weren't specific to any car, so you could lendit to a visitor if you were prepared to leave you own car further out

Lynne