the old unwins, next to smbs foods, now taken (Bossman)

karter

stop the wine drinking start the ice cream eating! we are "espice" ice creams, we are based in east dulwich and make the best spiced flavour ice cream known to man, we currently supply 3 of our flavours namely cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg to SMBS so go and try it, we also have all those flavours plus bourbon vanilla, allspice, clove and star anise for catering, if anyone wants some contact me, [email protected] regards espice

At least if we got a Wimpy we would know exactly what we were getting... Seems to me this shop has made a decision about the kind of "customer" East Dulwich is likely to have - ie one that cares about quality and organic produce - and is attempting to buy into that with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever. Grrrrr. The reason why shops like Green and Blue or The Cheese Block succeed and attract customers is because there is passion about the product - rather than about making a fast buck. It makes me really cross, as it makes me think that it is becoming the kind of area retailers just look at and think "suckers".

And you know what I hate to? It's a really ugly shop. It's like someone has looked at the shopfront of Chener Books and said - mmmm, so that's how to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to get a shop on Lordship Lane is extreamly tricky. I was in advanced negotiations for that unit and because of council red tape the deal fell through. I had budgeted a large amount of money to do the works NEEDED to get the unit into a good state of repair. I find it a disgrace what has opened there the shop has been left exactly the same even with the same shelving!!!!!! For Gods sake,Unwins went bust!! I hate to think what the upstairs is like as it needed gutting out!.

As for the "Organic" in the title, well .....

I've been past this place a few times, only looked through the window, and I have to say that it's not that appealing in terms of their stock/prices/appearance. It's essentially just another run of the mill off license.

Winewise, I would rather spend ?8 on 2 "petite recoltes" from Nicolas, which I know i'll enjoy, than spend ?5 on 2 bottles of something which could be hit or miss.

As for the beer selection, it's quite generic and unless they do some worthwhile offers on decent ales, I'll shop elsewhere.

Oh yeah, Organic wine. I wouldn't buy this just because it's organic. It has to be good. Until I get a recommendation that I can trust, I'll stick with my non-organic grape juice which I know will be tasty.

Hy All Happy new year,just back from Belfast and thought i would have a look at EDF and lo and behold the wine shop has its own thread. Looking at both sides of the story about this store i think its a good thing someone has opened a store that been empty for a long time and was an obvious target for thieves and vandals because of its very obvious emptiness.

The fact that they have not spent thousands of pounds on the refurbishment and have cleaned up and used the existing shelving unit shows practicality and saving money.

They are not selling wines at expensive prices and of course the pricing structure goes in line with the enviroment the wines are sold in.

I am sure in time they will get to know the products they sell and East Dulwichites will benefit from their prices as well as their quirky image.

I hope they do well,they provide cheap booze for dulwich who do not live in a high income bracket,thats why icelands works so well,cheap an cheerful so good luck to the boys at the booze shop:)-D

I was actually quite excited when I saw this place opening - when I lived in NZ I got hooked on an organic beer called Macs Gold: I thought that I might be able to get it in this new place... but the lager selection runs to the usual discount offie stash. Agree muchly with Bellenden Belle - seeing ED as an area where people are willing to pay extra for organic produce and thinking that opening a shop with organic in the title but that sells 1664 and balsamic-vinegar type wine frankly takes the piss.

Ironically, Macs Gold CAN be purchased for a highly reasonable (;-)) ?3 per stubby bottle at GBK...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

macs who ?

your opinion about the organic selection is not truely right, we are still in process of stocking up, organic wines and beers are likely to be increased in range in the coming days.There is nothing wrong with drinking 1664.

In the sign it says that we sell organic wine, yes but it doesn't say that we are trading in only organic wine or we got all what is being produced in the organic world!you still got good selection of wines which are fairly priced and you must be happy with what you getting on the doorsteps , rather then travelling to NZ to get your favourite MACS!!!

Thanks for your comments though!

Bossman

Just my personal opinion: there's nothing wrong with having another regular-type offie on LL (Lord knows Thresher is a bit rubbish) - but every time I see the 'organic' bit up there in lights, I just walk straight past.

Why? Because it just feels like a cash-in.. and - in turn - that makes me feel like a mug for going in there.

A stoopid reason not to go in a shop, but there it is.

I think that Bossman wines is a kewl name and deserves the support of us locals as they stay open till late providing that service unlike some of the other stores. Also they are very nice lads in there. Just need to expand on ranges of snacks and soft drinks I reckon to pull more punters in.

Nice one Bossman

bossman wines Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi,

> macs who ?

>

> your opinion about the organic selection is not

> truely right, we are still in process of stocking

> up, organic wines and beers are likely to be

> increased in range in the coming days.There is

> nothing wrong with drinking 1664.

>

> In the sign it says that we sell organic wine, yes

> but it doesn't say that we are trading in only

> organic wine or we got all what is being produced

> in the organic world!you still got good selection

> of wines which are fairly priced and you must be

> happy with what you getting on the doorsteps ,

> rather then travelling to NZ to get your favourite

> MACS!!!

>

> Thanks for your comments though!

Gracias for the lesson on food miles and local produce - fosters is brewed in Camberwell, presumably? ;-)

The absence of a particular brand isn't my problem, it's more that looking for it drew my attention to the range that you do have... not a poor range as such, just not what I expected from an offie that specifically put organic in it's title (it does a little bit prove my point that you'd never heard of the organic beer in question, no?)

Still, always good to see businesses cropping up and nice to have you here with a willingness to discuss.

The way I see it - if you want any old plonk go to Somerfield and get whatever ?2.99 bottle there is going. If you want something a bit more tasteful go to Nicholas or even Oddbins in the Village. Why would you ever go to Bossman's wines?!

Have never been in but the sight of Oxford Landing in the window at ?4.99 is enough to put me off...

It's far more healthy to drink organic wine then that cheap plonk from Somerfield that's full of sulphites and chemicals.Havent seen organics in Nicholas. At least Bossman are offering a larger selection of organic stuff and at a reasonable price. Yes the deli's down the road sell some organic bevs but unfortunately edd closes early. Why drive to the village to buy wine when there are several places on LL.?

Hi,

ox landing is a good wine............instead of just peeping through the window and making rash judgements , please come in and have a look at ALL of our range , and maybe then u can make some suggestions...........we are always listening.

At the same time just to let you know that we sell Organic wines, Organic beers & ciders, Organic spirits,and also good selection of French, Spanish, Australian, NZ,South Arican wines with very competative prices.