the old unwins, next to smbs foods, now taken (Bossman)

karter

Mmmmm- I've just had a look in their window, to see all main brand wines. Must say that I didn't know that Rosemont Ridge, Oxford Landing, Lindemans, Jacobs Creek, Gallo Brothers et al were organic. Obviously I couldn't see all the stock but those brands don't represent a USP to me AND at what looked like (small lables and didn't want to stare too much) ?6.99 a bottle it is not a cheaper option than more interesting wines elsewhere.

What a shame

The jury's still out, but they'll have to do better than that to dislodge Green & Blue (USP: rare & interesting); Nicolas (French & expert); Somerfield, Sainsbury's (convenient, big range) or the local offies (local & friendly). The only place that they could worry is Theshers.

popped in there last night - they don't stand a chance. A very dull selection which was poorly laid out and looked to be very fully priced. Nothing here to worry Somerfield in terms of exctiement and selection, let alone G&B's and Nicolas. BTW, is nothing to do with the SMBS/Cheese Block

By the way, and for the record, I was right about this one (first shop rumour I've been right about so indulge me)

I popped in last night to see if it was the same guy and it was. Place looked very empty of customers tho'... Not really a surprise.

I mean best of luck to him and everything, hes a nice guy, but the sign is plain cheeky (and borderline trading standards?). And as someone who visits these kind of places regularly I can't think of a reason to go to this one... my good wines will be G&B and my cheap beers and cooking wine will be Nisha at Val's.....

Nice to see everyone get behind a local business starting out. Guess he should sell Oysters and a few crap bowls of olives.

I'm not saying the place is good or bad, I haven't even looked, but the attitude on here f**ks me off sometimes.

Ah OK... so you think there's going to be a recession, we'll all stop buying luxury goods... a cheap and cheerful off license will probably be more successful than an expensive "boutique" wine shop.

Although I have to disagree. These days independant shops have to offer something that the supermarket doesn't offer. Whether than means interesting (or niche) products, expert advice, nice atmosphere, whatever. I think that will hold true even in times of economic decline.

Keef

slightly surprised at your response. As someone who welcomes new independant businesses i wish nothing but the best

nothing wrong with being a garden variety off licence either. My kind of people.

but he is pretending to be something he isnt. And by not selling anything special at special prices i worry for his future.

if he just called the shop booze n fags fair enough. .

I agree with you Sean. The rent is very high and there is no seperate entrance for the flat above so cant be rented out as it is. Its claiming to have organic stock but I only spotted ONE bottle of organic rose' wine.

They are however established in other businesses which will no doubt support this one in the mean time, however if they stay open till late they should do ok. Nicholas close at 8 and Thresher closes at 9.30 , too early in my view.

I'm pleased that the shop isn't empty and hope it doesn't fail, but I am surprised that there should be another place that sells booze. Are we really that dipsomaniacal in SE22 that Threshers, Nicolas, G and B, the supermarkets, the bars, the pubs and the other offies and convenience shops are not enough? It makes me feel a bit queasy just thinking of all that alcohol! (And yes, I would like a noodle shop, preferably Japanese and not wagamama. Does Shu not feel like picking up the apron on that one?) Nero

Sorry Sean that wasn't directed souly at you. It just annoys me that they've barely opened their doors and they're being written off.

As for the signage, who cares, you've said yourself that the whole "organic" thing isn't all it's made out to be. Part of me just hopes that if it closes down it'll be taken over by a Wimpy or something, just to annoy certain types of people.