Dulwich Hi-Fi Station / Car Forecourt

"Under section 184 of the Highways Act 1980 if you want to construct a vehicular access (also called a 'dropped crossing') to your property across a public footway then you need permission from the Highway Authority to do so. If the road is classified (an A or B road) you will also need planning permission, which you will need to apply for separately. There are two main reasons for building a vehicle crossing. Firstly, pavements are designed and constructed for pedestrian use. Persistent driving over or parking on a pavement may cause hazardous potholes or may damage underground cables and pipes, which can be dangerous and costly to repair. Secondly, it is an offence to drive a vehicle over a pavement or verge which is not part of a properly constructed vehicle crossing and the Council has powers under the Highways Act 1980 to serve a Notice on offenders and recover all reasonable costs for building a vehicle crossing.

It is against the law for a vehicle to cross a footway other than via a properly constructed crossing."

That is from http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/web/DroppedkerbsCrossings_index.htm

I used to prosecute people for driving/parking on the pavement when I worked at Camden Counci - it was many years ago so my memory is quite hazy but I think we used Highways Act 1835 - obviously no cars around at that time but the legislation referred to carriages of any kind so cars were caught by it!

• 3 weeks later...

What is moo 2 blah blah?

Meanwhile, Sebastian Media has just bought a plush 4-bedder on Friern. He invites his Islington pals down to wow them with the delights of Moo 2 blah blah.. only to turn the corner and see a crumbling Almera plonked on the pavement with ?599! stuck on the front, hand-written in a black marker pen. He's not happy.. his pals laugh.. he looks like a right plum.

Muttley Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Until the early 90s, the shop that is now Mrs

> Robinson sold used cars, which I'm pretty sure

> were all parked up on the pavement. Oh how times

> change.

Yes I remember that. Always had about four to six cars parked up.