Dulwich Hi-Fi Station / Car Forecourt

I could be wrong but from memory of my own experience of parking my motorbike many years ago it commits some form of highway offence as the vehicle had to travel across the pavement to the designated area. So unless it was parachuted in an astute police officer could probably book it.

macroban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The alleged offence is driving across the pavement

> to access private property.

...where there is no dropped kerb:

from http://www.direct.gov.uk/

"It is illegal to build a crossing over a public footpath without a certified crossing or dropped kerb. This is to ensure that the crossing is strong enough to take the weight of the vehicle and does not create a hazard for pedestrians and other footpath and road users. "

• 4 weeks later...

I've been into the shop a few times and have generally had good experiences. They've been around for ages. I first bought a mini disc player about 7 years ago and bought headphones, speaker cables and empty CDs.

They seem to stock more pricey items now. Surprised they didn't sell speaker cable to some customers as they certainly did some time ago.

Regarding the cars, that's news to me. Do they have any good deals? :-)

I don't know what's going on. But I'll take a guess.

The guy's owned the shop for years. Maybe he owns the property. One day, his mate says "'ere, Tone.. do us a favour and stick my old car outside your shop.. I want to get shot of it". The car goes outside the shop.

Meanwhile, Sebastian Media has just bought a plush 4-bedder on Friern. He invites his Islington pals down to wow them with the delights of Moo 2 blah blah.. only to turn the corner and see a crumbling Almera plonked on the pavement with ?599! stuck on the front, hand-written in a black marker pen. He's not happy.. his pals laugh.. he looks like a right plum.

The complaints begin to roll-in, but Hi-Fi man is undeterred. He digs his heels in and finds-out what his rights are. They include roping-off a section of the shop forecourt using bits and pieces found in a skip - guaranteed to annoy the complainers even more. Bring it on.

I love the fact that there's now a large neon sign in the window saying "CARS FROM ?499" or something like that. I'm sure it wasn't there before. Hat's off to him.. It makes me laugh every time I walk past.

Getting the car from the road to the area in front of their shop would be an offence, and they certainly wouldn't be able legally to use the dropped kerb outside EDT (at the crossing) for that purpose, as this would require them to drive along the pavement to get the vehicle to their property.

I always thought that a licence was required to sell secondhand cars, particularly from retail premises. Surely it's also a change of use. If so, it makes Cafe Nero's planning infringement seem quite minor.