Cheltenham/Ivydale Road Works.

Noonan

The ongoing road works to the above have brought a welcome rest from the inteminable noise of the passing buses, however I'm a little confused about what work is being done. They dug up to a depth of about 2 foot the top of Cheltenham road and have relaid. They've ignored other sections, and only scrapped the surface off the bottom section.. What is really worrying is the start of Ivydale the've dug up again about 2 feet, but left the middle (and most damaged section) alone, it now seems they're filling it in to resurface. Since the middle of the road is in a contiuous state of collapse, is this just another example of Southwark doing a botch job on road repairs, or are they afraid that if the dig up the middle, it'll show the water/drains have collapsed?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Noonan,

myself and the other two Peckham Rye ward councillors had meetings with Southwark engineers and contractors on Friday. Cheltenham Rd is not finished, they are going back there to do more works. Apparently they did a survey and areas with damaged substructure are having deep reconstructure (not the whole road as we thought!). Once the initial works are completed, they will be inspected and a snagging list will be drawn up. Any remedial works are to be done at the contractors own cost. The works will come with a one year guarantee, so if you notice problems with what has been done, please let me know. Residents have been contacting us about the work and that's why we called for the meeting. We were told that the works are nowhere near completion and that we are jumping the gun with our concerns.

Renata

Thanks for the update, Renata.

"We were told that the works are nowhere near completion and that we are jumping the gun with our concerns."

Conversely, we were told that the works were due for completion by the end of Jan 2012, that's just 7 working days away. If the works are nowhere near completed, does this mean the road closure and consequent bus diversions are expected to stay in place into February (and beyond..)? Also, when the snagging takes place, will we be facing additional disruptions to the buses?

• 2 weeks later...

I was visiting some friends on Ivydale yesterday.

I was amazed and shocked that so far 4 months on Cheltenham and Ivydale. With letters placed on windscreens about works taking place that didn't for weeks. Whole thing a fiasco.

If you live on these roads and feel you've been messed around the contract for highway maintenance is up for renewal.

Tell the councillor who's accountable [email protected] what you think of the current contractors FM Conway.