Plans for Dulwich Hospital site

paulc

I was looking for information about what was happening to the derelict land next to Dulwich Hospital and found this paper showing a vision of what it could be like on James Barber's mycouncillor web site:

http://jamesbarber.mycouncillor.org.uk/2011/12/05/dulwich-hospital-2/

In outline it says "we want to see a GP service with extras remain on site. We also believe that if the latest primary schools forecasts are right that we need another Primary School and this could provide the necessary site. To pay for community facilities on the site we think state of the art zero emission Retirement Village and also private homes should be built."

I mention this because there aren't many comments underneath the proposal on the mycouncillor site, so an opportunity to submit views there. There didn't seem to be a reference to this already in this forum, but apologies for duplication if I missed it.

Thank you Paulc.

I very much like the idea of a GP service and a new primary school onsite. The SELDOC already run from the site and it could be run as a GP led health centre, similar to Lister 8am-8pm with seldoc continuing overnight. It could be a community centre with units leased for social enterprises such as bromley by bow centre http://www.bbbc.org.uk/pages/health-wellbeing.html & http://www.bbbc.org.uk/pages/enterprise.html.

I am not sure of the population stats for southwark so would the retirement village be private homes sold on the open market to all retirees or house existing southwark residents only? how many residents would it house? Is the 200 for retired and families combined?

There is a great need for retirement homes in the UK. Especially well designed, modern and luxurious homes.Some people may be downsizing and may have lots of disposable income to spend and boost our local economy. The amenities also need to be available e.g. post office , hairdressers, leisure space- good restaurants etc. LL has some of the amenities required and is walking distance and it sounds like there will be amenities on-site too which is essential (a second post office would definintely be needed- LL one is always too busy).

The nursery is a good idea. I think attracting some sort of soft play/indoors childrens play amenity could also bring in revenue.

would there be any affordable housing for young professionals that want to live and work in London?

paulc Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> In outline it says "we want to see a GP service

> with extras remain on site. We also believe that

> if the latest primary schools forecasts are right

> that we need another Primary School and this could

> provide the necessary site.

Oh God, a primary school. I'm thinking school run and impact on local parking. They'll be needing a CPZ if that happens......

Whereas old people often give up the car when they get a free bus pass, so my vote's for a retirement home.

There is a shortage of retirement housing in Dulwich, you have Lew Evans SHU (LBSouthwark) and Dulwich Mead (Half Moon Lane) which is owner occupier SHU. What is needed is a mixture of Housing Association/Private Rented/Owner Occupied type older person housing. The HA which operate in ED are for couples and families and not sepcificaly for the over 55's.

I would opt for a small retirement village - this will keep the 'grey pound' in the area as many retired people are moving out of ED to outer London Boroughs and beyond due to lack of appropriate housing

Surely by the time this site is developed it won't be a primary school the area needs, it will be a secondary school. Retirement apartments/sheltered housing would also be a good idea given that the area's population will be ageing - people used to move on from East Dulwich when they had kids, now I sense that many parents want to stay in the area for life.

There are lots of rumours going around re the site, we (Dulwich Community Garden project) have nicknamed it 7 acres. I think the proposals are good. However It would be great to see an East Dulwich Community centre, (as we really dont have one, only various halls for hire.) With classes, workshops and a daycare centre for the elderly and disabled members of the community. I know Southwark Council may not want to/cannot fund the idea, however there are funders like the lottery who have funding aimed at projects like the one I have suggested above.

Last I heard Guys had bought the land, however its just another rumour. Any further updates James?

As Monica well knows there is already a East Dulwich Community Centre which is 'home' to around 800 - 1000 people each week who use it on a 7 day a week basis from 9 am - 10 pm .This also has workshops, a senior citizens group for 4 hours on a wednesday plus various classes for adults and children. There is also the Albrighton Centre which also has a number of community based activities. These 2 centres are more than just halls for hire.Fred Francis Day Centre in Lordship Lane is one of 2 centres funded entirely by Southwark for elderly and disabled people. All other day centres and drop ins in Southwark are run by voluntary organisations.

It has become the trend that if Retirement Housing is built, there is usually a communal room/centre which is opened to local elderly population during day time hours.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Multiplex Odeon, Pizza Express, Nandos, Waitrose,

> multi-storey car park.

>

> Sorted.

Doubt it will happen. For a start the area is poorly served by public transport. The area is mainly residential. The propposed development does not blend well into their surroundings.

Far better to develop the Multiplex/car park building in Peckham to fit in with your suggestion.