Considering a move... (what's Barry Road like?)

trentk69

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, and I am not sure if this is the right place to post - but, I am considering buying a property on Barry Road, ED, and I just wanted some feedback from anyone who lives in the area, about what the general place is like. From what I have seen, I like!

Thanks in advance

I lived on Barry Road a couple of years ago, and was surprised how little the traffic noise bothered me. I was in a front room without double glazing, but was never woken by it.

Most of the houses have good sized gardens.

I'd recommend it.

What's Barry Road like? it doesn't like anything, it's a road! (sorry, old paul merton joke)

We've tried to move there twice and I've had reservations due to the busy road but friends who live there say it's not a problem. I do like the look of it too with the avenue of trees and the spire at the end.

Thank you guys. The info is much appreciated. One other question, and please excuse me if I sound ignorant, but is subsidence a problem in this area? The homebuyers report stated that there was known subsidence in the area, (which meant to needed to get a Engineers Survey done - more ???)

Hiya - I live smack in the middle of Barry rd and love it. We're directly outside a bus stop so have night buses all night but they honestly dont bother us at all - you get used to it after a couple of days. And yes - most of the houses have had subsidence to a degree in the past - mine is as wonky as anything - but so long as the movement isn't ongoing theres not much to worry about. The road is busy but theres no problem parking - I used to live close to the station and am much happier here. go for it.

Hi I have lived on Barry Road for 15 years, Peckham Rye end. Although the road is busy its not that bad , we dont have double glazing and we sleep at the front. Great bus links, a park at either end of the road, some of the larger properties in East Dulwich, eg tall ceilings well proportioned rooms and big gardens. Most of the people on our block have also lived there a long time and are all really friendly.

Do you think I could get a job as an estate agent!

Have lived on Barry Road since 1975, I am at the Library end. Can be difficult with parking at times as many of the houses are converted to flats. Neighbours on either side both had underpinning done about 8 - 10 years ago, but we ( touch wood) have been ok. Only really noisy if you have windows wide open - we have double glazing in the front but not the back.

My end of Barry Rd is fairly friendly - on first name terms with at least 5 houses'occupants, who all have been around for many years. BARA is the residents' association that covers Barry Road and surrounding area from Lordship Lane to Upland Road. Mixture of family housing and flats - with a scattering of council properties/Housing Association properties.

We moved to Barry Road in June this year, having previously been very close to ED station. There is traffic noise but we have double glazing and so it's not noticeable - traffic jams v. rare. Parking not perfect but definitely better than many of the streets off Lordship Lane. The buses running to Peckham Rye station are a v. useful addition to transport links. Subsidence is an issue throughout East Dulwich, but not to the extent that insuring is difficult (based on anecdotal evidence). The homebuyers report should say whether there is evidence of movement and if so whether historic, and if it didn't I would go back to them and ask.

All in all, we really like it. Handy for everywhere we want to go, nice houses, and (as previously mentioned) v. attractive - long straight avenue with mature trees framing the church spire.