Man camping in Sydenham woods

I walk my dog in Sydenham woods every now and then. A few weeks ago a blue tarpaulin appeared down near the old railway line. Had a closer look today and saw a guy sleeping under it surrounded by bags.

I've always thought if I ever became homeless I'd rather set up camp in the woods and build a decent shelter than roam ypthe streets.

Has anyone spoken to him? A part of me feels like donating some more tarp to help extend his camp whilst another part wonders if it is unlawful setting up shelter in the woods?

Hope he's OK. He obviously needs help. I have a friend who's been homeless for a while now and been sleeping rough but has been too proud/polite to some offers of help and is now not responding to calls on his mobile phone. Could you give us a description at all please?

He was covered over with sleeping bags and I didn't want to disturb him, so no description. However, I was slightly worried I might get a barrage of abuse from hyacinth bucket types - reassuring not to!

So tomorrow when we go for a walk I will take him some more tarp and a pack lunch. I'll let you know who he is, if hes happy to be known...

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Seems a bit odd to me.

>

> It would not be possible to live and survive in

> Dulwich Wood.

>

> He would need to come out for any food / water.

>

> He would need money. ??? would need an address to

> get benefits. ???

>

> Fox.

Can't work out if you are just trying to wind people up or really didn't think this one through.

Never seen homeless people begging? Or heard of people with no fixed abode getting benefits.

I have a hunch he works. There's very little in the way of possessions or anything tatty. Just a tarp, a chair, a man and a smart travel bag. Like I said, if I was without a roof, I'd sooner seek refuge in the woods than town.

I will report back tomorrow after my walk...if he's from overseas I'm gonna struggle unless he's French ( gcse level) or polish (super basic level, like, how are you: na dobra)

Any budding translators out there willing to help out?!

Jah Lush: we've just got back from the woods. We didn't ask his name as I think he was a little bewildered by 2 strangers and a dog turning up with provisions. We took him some extra warm clothes and more tarp with some food and a hot drink.

We only had a brief chat (he wished us a happy new year!), but we think he had an English accent, possibly Manchester or Liverpool. At least my mrs did but she's south African. I couldn't his accent at all.

We reckon he's about 30, dark shaved hair, bit of stubble. Can't tell height as he was lying down. Had big boots on, like caterpillars maybe.

We're gonna go again tomorrow so hopefully he won't be as bewildered. Will let you know his name if it comes up.

Your mate not called Patrick is he? We helped another guy without a roof called Patrick. About 5 foot 4. We tried the mayors scheme of no second night, which for the record, sucks! It was his promise that no-one should spend more than 2 nights homeless. But all they told us we could do was take him to the British museum and MAYBE an outreach group MIGHT come.

I'm always reluctant to hand out money. Food, drink, some clothes not a problem. Just way, way too few shelters.

I think the guy in the woods has got it pretty well sussed out!

TE44 Wrote:

> im sure the op posted with good heart, but i'd

> imagine the guys trying to keep a low profile.

xxxxxx

Yes - the man in Southwark Park got booted out when he was officially discovered.

LadyDeliah Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Seems a bit odd to me.

> >

> > It would not be possible to live and survive

> in

> > Dulwich Wood.

> >

> > He would need to come out for any food / water.

>

> >

> > He would need money. ??? would need an address

> to

> > get benefits. ???

> >

> > Fox.

>

>

>

> Can't work out if you are just trying to wind

> people up or really didn't think this one

> through.

>

> Never seen homeless people begging? Or heard of

> people with no fixed abode getting benefits.

What are you talking about.

I simply pointed out that this chap could not survive in the wood.

He would need Food and water.

Would need money to buy food.

Was that too difficult for you to comprehend. ???(!)

The fact that he has choosen to live a hermit life is his choice.

Leave the Guy alone.

If he has a mobile phone then Presumable he has somewhere where he can get it charged.

If he wanted to draw attention to himself he would not be hiding in the Woods.

Fox.