Clapham or ED

Robb71

"I worked in zeitgeist the original gift shop in old town."

I've been around a bit, but have been in ED by far the longest now. I lived in Fulham for a couple of years and used to go into the original Zeitgeist in Fulham Road, and then it opened up in Clapham, about the time I went to live in Clapaham South. This was when the Two Brewers was the busiest pub in Clapham High Street and there seemed to be nothing but boarded up shops, junk shops and one shop unit that was a left-wing political party (can't remember which) HQ between there and Clapham North station. So different now, but then so is ED.

First there was a big Sainsburys, then the plot about 500 yds away became available (that was suitable for a small supermarket), so Sainsburys bought in order to stop Tescos buying it. Then the plot of the old garage between the two became available so Tescos bought that. It's a war out there.

"First there was a big Sainsburys, then the plot about 500 yds away became available (that was suitable for a small supermarket), so Sainsburys bought in order to stop Tescos buying it. Then the plot of the old garage between the two became available so Tescos bought that. It's a war out there."

It certainly is, but I just don't understand how they can get away with saturating an areas to keep out the competition. I guess a Sainburys Local has different hours than the big store on the Clapham bus garage site, and because of that is able to stay open longer on Sundays. Oh and there's now the big Tesco at Clapham South, which I've never been in yet.

JesusCappuccino Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I doubt that anyone in Clapham is debating this

> with such passion.

Most of the people I know in Clapham don?t even know where ED is.

I would like to keep it that way too.

Met a guy walking down from Clapham

Said... where you going my friend?

He said theres something going on down south

Past the tube trains end

I heard about the fancy butchers and the herbal remedies

A place where I can rest my soul, maybe start a family

And with the planting of new trees and a rather nice deli

He realised.......he had an East Dulwich Bag

East Dulwich Bag

When the East London Line extension happens Clapham will be one stop from Denmark Hill.

Denmark Hill is in Camberwell but it does have a good relationship with East Dulwich being the location of one of ED's most important train stations.

In the future all of ED and Clapham will meet in the Phoenix for a pint of Pimms.