Fair play parking?

Miacis

We live up by the Library on LL - parking is a nightmare but that's london and we have to deal with it. Except one of these lovely vans has just moved in for the past few weeks van and driver - it rarely moves but, get this, when it does the driver puts a battered old motorbike in the space to save it for when the van gets back.

So bang goes the nearest parking place to my home for ever?

Charming eh? It's just not playing fair to my mind - and no doubt the driver lives nowhere near. I just hate it - it's a bit like the people who deliberately sit on the aisle seats of buses when both seats are free.

@pk - will phone if it doesn't move soon - will probably get a mouthful so putting that off

@james barber CPZ over my dead body, but good point re tax - the motorbike isn't taxed as far as I can see

@ratty - yes, I'd hope to park there from time to time and other people coming and going - that's the point - he's permanently booking a slot

@peterstorm - I suspect he puts it in the back of the van - neat eh? meanwhile anyone got a spare motorbike they could lend me for a while? I know a very nice parking spot...

@salsa - I am very tempted to move it but not that strong!!!

I just need to vent really (and get a life) have to do big shop tomorrow and dread it even though I have one of those trolley things. Clearly in need of a glass of wine :)-D

Miacis Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Charming eh? ... I

> just hate it - it's a bit like the people who

> deliberately sit on the aisle seats of buses when

> both seats are free.

I always sit on the aisle seat. But not to stop people from sitting next to me. Being a person of slightly larger proportions \i prefer the aisle as opposed to being crushed up against the side wall of the bus. Also now in winter mornings, its too cold to sit against the side of the bus...much warmer to have an aisle seat!

DulwichDeviant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Good news

> As of the 2nd Jan 2012 Vans older than 2001 will

> be failing the new emissions laws for greater

> london.

>

I have to admit to being totally ignorant of this. Thanks for the info. This will free up at least 3 spaces in my road - although it may take some prompting as I doubt the owners of the rust buckets will know any more than I did.

Great work Deviant. And yes, Tony Quinn, it is typical of James Barber to not know any other remedy than a CPZ, his current obsession. For James, the only solution to anything is to expect people to pay out. He did this with me when I catalogued the horrors of having Southwark Council as a freeholder. His only suggestion: 'Buy the freehold'. He thinks East Dulwich is Fulham, or maybe wishes it were, and that we're all loaded. So woefully out of touch.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again...

Southwark council has 63 councillors. Approximately 21 of these councillors represent areas that the East Dulwich Forum covers. Exactly one of those councillors comes onto the EDF regularly to listen to our concerns and opinions. That councillor is James Barber.

For this he deserves a lot better than some of the rude and snide comments he receives on this forum.

By all means debate with him, challenge him and disagree with him (as I certainly do regarding CPZs), but please stop with the ad hominem attacks. Or else he may just decide he will join with the other 62 Southwark councillors and say, "sod this for a game of soldiers" and cease being such a valuable resource to this forum. And we will be the losers if that happens.

Have some respect, people.

DulwichDeviant, your post was very helpful. Please don't stop contributing. I agreed with Loz's exasperation with the other poster and it was clear to me that it wasn't directed at you.

I'm sure James will be very happy to help in the new year when the change in legislation gives a means to do so. Until then the only available course of action is the DVLA for the untaxed bike.

Someone has parked their motorbike next to the dodgy one (yay - think it's my neighbours so clearly community action at work!) - just hope he can't squeeze the van in between that and the next car along.

V helpful stuff dulwich deviant - forgot about that.

@spangly - so if I want to sit down I need to clamber over you??