185 bus (I have found it to be exceptionally poor)

EDNate

The 20mph speed limit and part of the route being on the South Circular Road doesn't help the 185's reliability.

Incidentally it is timetabled to run every 8 mins, the 176 is every 10 mins and the 197, every 12 mins.

In future, to ensure you reach Vauxhall in good time, change at Camberwell for the 36 or 436.

Cardelia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> rendelharris Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > EDNate Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> >

> > > Right but this post is specifically for those

> > of

> > > us in the lower parts of ED where walking up

> to

> > GG

> > > for the 37 would take us 20+ minutes and then

> > 30+

> > > minutes on that bus to get to victoria and

> yet

> > > again we are looking at over an hour !

> >

> > The very furthest (easternmost) end of Upland

> road

> > is almost exactly half a mile by road from the

> 37

> > stop on LL, at what pace do you walk?!

>

> The OP said they lived on the "lower part of

> Upland road". Picking the Upland Road/Dunstans

> Road junction as an example, the distance to the

> Goose Green roundabout is 1.2 miles. That's easily

> a 20 minute walk at average pace.

I logically took the "lower part" to mean the part that's actually lower, i.e. down the bottom of the hill. If by "lower" they actually meant "southern", yes that's further.

In topography 'lower and upper' where not specified generally refer to positions on a map orientated with North at the top - although in context (e.g. talking about a mountain) 'lower slopes' clearly is about height above sea level, or comparative height. Sometimes 'lower' also has, when discussing urban environments, a class implication, normally because 'upper' classes would be more likely to live on a hill, generally a more healthy position as sewage etc. would flow down hill. I don't think this latter is relevant when considering Upland Road.

Careening off topic, but take a road like College Road, which is 90m higher at its southern end than its northern, if one lived up near the radio mast one wouldn't say one lived in "the lower part of College Road", despite its southern orientation, surely? Nor would I say DKH Primary is opposite "the lower end of Camberwell Grove", despite the fact that is also almost due south of the Camberwell end. To me, if someone says of a road which has a significant slope (as Upland Road does, very nearly identical to Camberwell Grove in fact) that they live in the lower part of the road I naturally assume the part near the bottom of the slope.

Oh God. Another thread falls prey to the creeping infantilisation of 'helpful' added subject line glosses.

[i originally removed the above after an hour, as irrelevant to the actual topic. I've reinstated it now as it's richly deserved. I might eventuallly say more, in the About This Forum section.]

Public transport route threads are always good value, aren't they? Always reminds me of the Ealing comedy where the people on the tube are still arguing about it long after the tourist who asked the question has got off.

I always get confused which end of Dulwich is north because my personal compass seems to have the river as south.

If I'm going anywhere by public transport, I consult Google Maps as to which is the quickest route at the time I'm travelling.

When I remember. If I don't remember and have a long and tedious journey, I curse myself all the way there for not remembering :))

Angelina Wrote:

> First World problems. Pretty pathetic.

Quite the high horse. Because one lives in the first world they must accept poor transport compared to other first world major cities even though they pay significantly more ?

Irrelevant comment.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> Angelina Wrote:

> -----

> > First World problems. Pretty pathetic.

>

> All East Dulwich problems are first world

> problems. This is an East Dulwich forum.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Very irrelevant comment from

Angelina.

Let's all just give all of our money to TFL and have them take us to work on horse and cart because complaining or comparing to other large first world cities would be wrong?

Angelina Wrote:

> First World problems. Pretty pathetic.

Paying ?1500 a year for really C**p transport to get to and from work is not pathetic.

If we can't afford to have the luxury of living in zone 1 or 2 surely we should at least have a decent efficent transport system that works

Definitely getting a train is the fastest way to the West End. I live on Upland Rd and I get the 12 or 197 bus to Peckham Rye station. From there lots of options to get in to town, but I'd suggest the train to London Bridge and change platforms to catch another train to Charing Cross.

nxjen Wrote:

> Boundary of Zone 2 used to be somewhere between

> bus stop outside Truly Scrumptious and North Cross

> Road

It was the Goose Green roundabout that split Zone 2 and 3 in ED. So the Ondine Road bus stop would be in 2 and Goose Green in 3.

nxjen Wrote:

> Wasn?t the bus stop outside Chener Books, south of

> Goose Green, the first location you could catch a

> bus going north at the Zone 2 price?

The northbound stop was 2/3. Southbound was 3. The bus stop in East Dulwich Road was 2. I'm not sure if the stops on East Dulwich Grove were 2 or 2/3?

Lynne Wrote:

> Back to the wretched 185, what's the best way to

> Lewisham then? The 484 is entertaining if you just

> want a bus ride and have nothing else to do for

> an hour or so

Hop on your nearest bus/walk to Peckham Rye, ten-minute train from there.

Going back to the 185, in recent days it has seemed to end up appearing on the tracker in distinct waves. Three in less than 5 minutes and then nothing for 15-20 minutes. Some bus routes regularly have ?held here to regulate the service? messages. I?m trying to recall whether the 185 is one of them. Perhaps their usual coordinator is off!

Applespider Wrote:

> Going back to the 185, in recent days it has

> seemed to end up appearing on the tracker in

> distinct waves. Three in less than 5 minutes and

> then nothing for 15-20 minutes. Some bus routes

> regularly have ?held here to regulate the service?

> messages. I?m trying to recall whether the 185 is

> one of them. Perhaps their usual coordinator is

> off!

The reliability of the 185 has been bad in the last couple of weeks. The tracker has shown gaps of 15-20 mins between buses towards Victoria. It'll only get worse when the roadworks at the Grove end of LL starts on Monday.