Speed bump help

BJL

kford Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> TfL agrees that bikers can share some bus lanes.

> We're not all couriers! (I cycle too)

afaik there was a trial of this in a couple of areas, and it looks like they're going to reject the expansion of the sharing system. And the trial was definitely not on any road I take to work (I ride motorbikes too).

nutty Wrote:

> Do you know what grounds they are rejecting it on?

> In my experience bikers currently use all bus

> lanes anyhow with no issues (except those with

> cameras :))

Apparently, tfl think it's a bad idea to encourage more petrol engines in London, so Ken's going to shelve the plan.

there's an article (nb by a motorcycle journo) about it here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2008/01/26/mflane126.xml

conflicting opinions about the success of the trials - there are apparently a load of stats that say the trial was good for all concerned, but some are saying the results were influenced by motorcyclists' groups.

An interesting comment below the article reads:

"This report is nonsense and seriously understates the effect and danger of more motorcycles in bus lanes. They have excluded the results of the A13 study because that showed a major impact on cycle use - a fall of over 80%.

It is hard to get valid statistics because it is mainly when the main lanes get blocked that m/cs switch to the bus lane. The analysis needs to concentrate on the congested times and sections of road. What happenend on the A13 was that extra congestion from road works meant that 75% of m/cs moved into the cycle lane, forcing cyclists out of it. This data comes from the first statistical study of the trials, a study that was suppressed to please the motorcycle lobby. The study also showed motorcycles exceeding the the speed limit by an average of 20% on these routes.

Other research has shown motorcycles to be five times more likely to kill or injure pedestrians and cyclists than are cars. We cannot afford to entice more motorcycles into London or other cities by allowing them into bus lanes."

The last - disputable - point is the thrust of their argument, which is a shame because we're vunerable road users too, and, I hope you agree, on stretches like Harleyford Street around the Oval, it's treacherous for us bikers to filter on the inside.

I used to do marketing work for TfL; they are very anti-bike, even though the latest generation of full-licence bikers are, by and large, a careful bunch who just want to avoid having to cram onto public transport. This could work in TfL's favour, especially in Tube-lite south London.

I fear the administrator's Lounge button...

blinder999 that article you quoted was by a man from the London Cycling Campaign. Of course he was against it.

The report showed proof that motorcyclists using bus lanes were involved in few accidents.

But TFL didn't like the sound of that so they buried the report.

On the A41 and A23 where I can and do ride in the bus lanes, when I see a cyclist guess what I do?

Indeed, I ride my motorbike safely and overtake them when it is safe to do so.

I am First Aid Trained, and also took a Motorcycle First Aid Course (ie for street scenes) and I take responsibility.

Do not assume that just because I advocate the annihilation of all road signs and street furniture except lighting and adequate direction signs, and road bumps and unbelievably stupid chicanes and so on, that I am an anarchist. Well, I am a bit of an anarchist, but I do strongly believe that if you put decision making back in the hands of the people then we will learn and get used to making good decisions again based on shared common sense and courtesy.

Of course, the government have slowly eroded our needs to make decisions for ourselves so it may take about five years of utter carnage on the streets before we get used to doing it and taking the responsibility, but hey, nothing happens immediately...

I HATE speedbumps! I'm 7 months pregnant and they HURT. I avoid them where possible although that is virtually impossible in ED! Ban them I say! And if they put them down Landells Road, I'm moving.

Phew, I feel better for that rant, thanks.

Well I know that when I'm on a road with bumps, a lot of my concentration and vision is focused on where the next bump is rather than on the road ahead and any unexpected hazzards - pets/kids/footballs etc. which might peek out from between parked cars. I realise that a lot of drivers don't consider unexpected hazzards but I believe there are better ways to slow down traffic than speed bumps.

I heard that the guy who invented speed bumps now wishes he hadn't. Possibly an urban myth however!

blinder999 Wrote:

> Other research has shown motorcycles to be five

> times more likely to kill or injure pedestrians

> and cyclists than are cars. We cannot afford to

> entice more motorcycles into London or other

> cities by allowing them into bus lanes."

Motorcyclists kill pedestrians!? In my experience I've been more at risk of them killing me as they amble across the road listening to their ipods and paying no attention to filtering traffic.

I read with interest that figures released this week suggest that over half the motorists convicted of speed camera offences in London (150000+) simply haven't paid up; I would suggest that these are the people in unregistered, uninsured, untaxed and unMOT'd who cause most accidents. Speed cameras would not stop these people, evidently.