Sanity check for primary school distances - DVI, Heber

Hello - You can never say for sure but I think it would be very unlucky if you didn't get into DVI at 390m. Here are stats for DVI if you don't already have them:

Open non sibling's distance

2009-10 854 m

2010-11 797m

2011 - 696m

I thought those seemed relatively large, given that half the places are faith places and other popular schools have smaller "catchment areas". But maybe a large number of families who live in the village send their children privately.

The decrease in distance combined with the 2011 bulge class is a bit unhelpful when trying to get "within catchment". I assume there could be more younger siblings applying next year for fewer places - leaving fewer places for non-siblings and therefore the distance may go down for two reasons.... (Got to consider the worst case, I suppose!) My two children are only one school year apart for example - we're applying to get the eldest into DVI for Sept 2012. I would have thought the almost-recession would effect distances too, as families who would have sent their children to private schools now can't or choose not to. However, I don't think that is such a significant factor as I had thought - I know of many families still intending to send their children to private schools despite their city professions!

Don't know much about Heber I'm afraid. Although we've got that on our son's application, just in case. Think we might be close enough but we're a safer bet for DVI.

Good luck! (Nightmare, isn't it? We moved house recently and proximity to a good local state primary was a prequisite...)

I would assume that most siblings will come the year after the year after a bulge class if you see what I mean - ie a 2 year plus age gap rather than a 1 year one - although a Sept born and a July born would skew that

still I think you would be unlucky not to secure a place within 300 or so metres of either school

parental choice

all ED primaries are good though which is good news

Fuschia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Remember though that once upon a time distances

> were shortest safe walking distance, then switched

> to ad the crow flies. What year was that? 2010?

How very true... I think this was only last year :(

My daughter is in reception at DVI now and the age gap between her and her brother is 3.5 years, and I would say that was the same give or take a few months for a lot of the other children. So by the time the younger siblings are starting school the older ones will have left and the sibling policy won't apply. So I wouldn't worry too much and I think that you would be pretty safe at a distance of 390 metres. Hope that helps!

Hello Jules20 - I got the distances from the school itself. If it's not a church school, you can get them from Southwark council. (The last year's distances are in the "starting primary school in Southwark" leaflet although not sure this excludes siblings so probably best to ask the council the precise question over email and then telephone to hassle for a reply if necessary...)

Yup Curmudgeon - totally agree. Likely to be a smaller catchment for Sept 2013. But I know lots of families with siblings only one academic year apart. We have a 16 month gap (eldest is end of March and youngest is August). And yes, there are lots of good schools in ED, which is great. (Unlike where we moved from!)

Sept 2010/Jan 2011 was as the crow flies. Sept 2009/Jan 2010 was safest walking distance.

There's also schoolmap.org.uk (although I've seen some incorrect numbers there for my address!)

It uses Google maps' distance measuring tool. On Google maps, go to the little radar sign at the top right, click on it and select "Maps Labs". Then you will have the distance measuring tool (which looks like a little ruler) in the bottom left of your screen. From then on it's pretty straightforward.

I have two daughters, one in year two and one in nursery. There are a lot of siblings of my eldest daughter's classmates in reception and nursery. Not sure where the idea that most elder children will have left school before their sibling starts come from. Bulge classes must make a difference but at our school at least there have never been more than about 25 siblings in an intake of 60. Will see how the bulge class of last year effects this years stats.

• 4 months later...