Unprovoked assault on Northcross Road last night (Saturday)

Eireann

Has anyone reading this witnessed an unprovoked attack on an innocent man close to Panther Cabs on Northcross Road last night (Saturday December 3rd) shortly after 2am?

He was attacked from behind as he spoke to the driver of a black cab, not far from the corner with Lordship Lane. He did not know or have any connection with the attacker, who is believed to be a white man of slim build in his twenties, who was behaving in a very aggressive manner in the area for some time.

There were a lot of people around at the time and many people are likely to have witnessed the incident. The man assaulted was knocked unconscious and suffered cuts to the head and face. Some helpful kind bystanders assisted him at the time but unfortunately, as he was in shock, he did not have the wherewithall to get any contact information. If you witnessed this or were one of those who came to his assistance, please can you help? This was an aggressive, dangerous attack on an innocent dad, who was on his way home after Christmas drinks with friends.

Sadly, as described, 'behaving in an aggressive manner in the area for some time' it is possible that this young man was suffering from some psychotic episode - most frequently these result in self harming but on occasion to 'unprovoked' attacks on others. Of course drink or drugs might also be a cause, but not uncommonly 'care in the community' is actually lack of care in the community.

Random attacks by singletons who are in full control of their faculties as described are very unusual. (Attacks by groups or for clear gain - mugging - are of course more common).

This makes the attack, as far as the man attacked is concerned, no less awful, but may be a symptom of madness, not badness.

The perpetrator clearly also does need to be found and detained, but it is possible that nothing criminal (mens rea) has taken place. Whatever, it is very sad.

It is very likely that the attacker will be captured on local CCTV, maybe also the attack itself, but we really need anyone who witnessed the attack or knows someone who did to get in touch please. You can do so via email if you wish at [email protected].

The perpretrator was obviously not in control at the time of the attack, whatever the reason for that was. Drugs and/or alcohol are quite likely to be contributing factors. The man who was assaulted (my husband) believes that the attacker was with some others, who attempted to restrain him. It may have been a case of mistaken identity as people who assisted my husband at the scene mentioned that the attacker had been calling him by some other name. Whatever the reasons were, this kind of behaviour cannot be accepted on our neighbourhood's streets.

Please help if you can.

Very, very sorry to hear this happened to your husband. I hope the attacker gets found.

Even if the the attacker was suffering some sort of mental illness (instead of the more likely explanation), he needs to be caught and dealt with appropriately.