Are we the 99%? Or the 1%?

Loz

Thomas Micklewright Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Compassionate consumers - certainly the way for

> things to change. Money shouts louder than any political message.

Surely you've just outlined your own problem, Thomas? Consumers, in general, buy cheapest and hang the message. Middle class East Dulwich people(*) may spring for free range eggs and fair trade coffee, but most consumers buy the cheap and cheerful.

[* we really need a collective term for 'East Dulwich people'. East Dulwichians? Dulwicheasters? East Dulwitches?]

Thomas - compassionate consumers are not gonna happen on a wide scale in the foreseeable.

If Sainsbos free range/fair trade/organic stuff was the same price as the rest of their range, no question we'd all be buying it, right? Why wouldn't we? But it's not, and its not likely to be anytime soon.

Agree with him or not, you have to admit Adam Curtis is always makes his pitches entertaining.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2012/01/were_all_in_the_same_boat_-_ar.html

"And today the world of the modern cruise liners also mirrors the present structure of our global society. Millions of people live in a world where they expect the luxuries which were previously only offered to the few. At the same time millions of others around the world struggle daily to create the platform that holds that fake luxury world together.

Meanwhile the small elite who are genuinely rich and powerful float off into the distance on their own boat - and kick anyone off who dares to get drunk and call it a cruise."