Sling Recommendation

Hello,

Was just wondering if anyone had recommendations for a good sling for me. My little boy is 10weeks old now and I have a ring sling which is lovely for snuggling him close to me around the house and for short walks but not really comfy enough for walking any distance.

So, what I would like is a sling that would be comfy to walk in (go into town for example). My boy is going to be big I think (he's already over 14lb) and I don't have the strongest back. I would also like one that is easy to take on and off and to swap between my husband and I. Heard good things about the ergo and beco (are they essentially the same?) but they are very expensive. Is there anything similar but cheaper? Or is it better to try and get one of these second-hand? Are baby bjorns any good (heard mixed reports...)

Any guidance appreciated! Thanks.

Hi

I would suggest going to a sling meet, they meet at the Horniman every now and then, organised through facebook.

There are other sling libraries around, perhaps someone else can fill in the details there??

A locally made and reasonably priced option would be a Sleepy Nico www.sleepynico.com.

Baby Bjorns are not great if you are serious about carrying... for your back or for the baby, this sling becomes what is known as a crotch dangler, no good for developing spines, you miss out on direct body contact... and much more.

Here is a great and thorough link for information on slings and babywearing http://www.sleepywrap.com/2008/11/strollers-baby-carriers-and-infant-stress/

Happy slinging!

I tried so many with my daughter (bjorns to hippy ones which are just one massive piece of material) and never got on with any of them. Kept them for my second child and still didn't like them. Bought an ergo-baby and haven't looked back - love it for NOT being a baby-bjorn, but it's just as comfortable and I think more comfortable for the baby. Very easy to put on and take off without help. You're best to try them out with your baby if you can - it's like a house or a wedding dress, you'll just know when you find the right one for you.

I have a rose and rebellion sling, very similar to register and beco (but no facing outwards) and it is very comfortable. Merry go round in herne hill stock them if you want to have a look. a bit cheaper than the ergo I think too.

The world of slings is very overwhelming when you start digging around. I found my feet with the help of Emily who runs the South London Sling Library (google it for contact info). You can hire slings to try before you take the plunge and buy.

I really got on well with a babyhawk branded carrier and a woven wrap which is essentially a woven length of material. I tried many carriers - moby, tony, baby bjorn but the babyhawk and wrap were the most comfortable. Once you have practiced a bit you really get the hang of it and it makes wearing your baby a VERY comfortable experience. I liken it to being pregnant as you don't feel any pulling, etc. Baby feels a part of you!

Personally I love the baby bjorn Active. It's comfortable for me, and my daughter (4 months) seems to be doing very well in developing her straight spine.

My older daughter was in a Baby Bjorn original, which she loved, but it was a bit hard on your lower back when she got heavier.

My wife has tried several slings, and they have their good points, but for us, nothing feels as secure as the baby bjorn Active.

It is personal preference but a soft structured good carrier that distributes the weight round by your hip instead of hanging off your shoulders seems to suit most who want to carry a baby beyond 10 months and say 20lbs.

I use (daily) my Beco Gemini which is fantastic because the straps cross for extra support on top of the hip placement. I use the Ergo when I occasionally back carry, for shorter front carry journeys and to get E to sleep if he's struggling, still works like a charm and he's 15 months and I think around 2 stone in weight! I've recommended the Gemini to many people and all have loved it, it's super easy to put on quickly, pretty and very supportive to mum and baby. I love the Manduca too - and noticed one in the Rye Lane pram shop so might be worth popping there and trying that one out for yourself. Rose and Rebellions and Sleepy Nicos are other options that people love and they do similar things and there are some gorgeous designs (ahem!).

Sling meets are a great start and also recommend Emily at the Horniman meet, she's lovely and a whizz with wrapping.

I'd personally avoid the Baby Bjorn as it's not ideal for mum/dad or baby but I know some people get on well with them especially the Active for longer than a few months. I happily carry my son for hours every day in a hip-weight-bearing carrier but was only able to use our baby bjorn until he was about 6 weeks old, hence my lovely journey into slingdom!!

I have a manduca which I've used for my 14 month old (for trip abroad when he was 12 months and country walks more recently, but not regularly as we both prefer the buggy!). It's very comfy and easy to use. You are welcome to come and try it and I would be happy to sell it on if you like it.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Hmmm... it is a mine field isn't it? But I guess it is quite a personal choice. I think the advice to go to a sling meet may be the way to go - I've looked up the South London Sling Library so I'll try and get along there I think and try some out for size.

Then I'll be back on here appealing for a second-hand one of my fave to buy! I can't really afford to buy more than one so need to be confident I'm buying the right one I think.

(thanks to hellosalior and sanity girl for the offers to try out there slings! I think it will be easy to try out a few at one time though - although I'll be in touch if the manduca seems good to buy it off you maybe sanity girl!)

I think there's a second hand beco gemini in Merry Go Round, the second hand children's clothes shop on Half Moon Lane at the moment, was in there yesterday and I'm sure I saw one.

though having said that...maybe I'm confused and it was a rose and rebellion that I glimpsed if they stock them...

My sling buddy opened a sling library.You can try many before you buy.

http://southlondonslings.com/

I will highly recommend you to hire something for at least a week so you can see if it is what you are looking for...I love different type of the carriiers,depend on the weather,baby age,etc.But vowen wraps (esp Didymos)are the best.Happy baby wearing!

You might find a second hand bargain here:

http://www.naturalmamas.co.uk/

Thanks very much for the offer Otta, it is very kind. My ring sling is fine for short trips though, it is more longer trips that I need another sling for.

Yes, mumtoone, going to try and get to the sling library next week I think.

Has any one used a wilkinet and have an opinion on it? They seem a lot cheaper than the others and look like they might be ok?

I started a thread on this a few weeks ago. I have a Bjorn active, Ergo and Moby. The good things about the Bjorn is that it's really easy to put on and take off- must be why you see so many. Agree with other though not very comfy once baby is bigger or for long trips. The others I've got take some practice to use but i've had a few successful trips now with Ergo with newborn insert (thanks Ruth!). Only problem is my 4 week 10lb boy is almost too big for it with the insert and not steady enough without. It's really comfy though and my little girl who's almost 3 goes in it too. Would really love to master the Moby though but can never get it tight enough. Think I might have to join you at the next sling meet!

• 3 weeks later...

Yep it is a minefield out there. I would advise against using Baby Bjorn type carriers as they become uncomfortable for you once baby is bigger and the forward facing position isn't ideal for babies hips or spine (www.didymos.com has a nice explanation of why not). But if you think about it baby is going to be hanging by his or her bits. The best options for an ergonmically designed sling are the ergo (don't buy off ebay). Have you thought about a manduca or the boba 3g? Both are used from birth through to toddlerhood. My 23motnh old toddler fits in the manduca arms in as it has a zip to make it grow about 3 inches. Have a look here: http://www.precious-bundle.co.uk/default/baby-carrier-wraps-slings-types-1/buckle-and-hip-baby-carriers.html?limit=all

Also the moby is a good option for tiny babies but again as they get bigger (by about 20lb uncomfortable) consider switiching to woven wrap as they are more supportive and will last longer. Tip with the moby is tie it tighter than you think you will need to begin with as the stretch means you'll be able to get them in.

Another Manduca fan here - I carry my 17month old most days. The nice thing about a ssc is that as the baby gets bigger you can switch to a back carry for longer trips, which is easier on your back and means you can wear the baby for longer. My toddler still loves going in the sling and sits quietly in it observing everything that's going on while I chat away to him. Slings are fab!