cafe nero - petition

tiddles

OK, so a few individuals resent 'chains' - so what? A chain of shops/coffee houses is nothing more than a single shop which has progressed, having become succesful and grown in size isn't it? Chains of shops don't just suddenly appear from nothing. M&S started as one store, so did Woolworths, so did the Body Shope etc etc. The majority of single owner run units become 2 units, then more (e.g Green and Blue to name only one example) given half a chance. They are, after all (usually ambitious and brave) people running businesses and trying to make a living and they naturally want to expand if their business is doing well - it's hardly unnatural or a crime! Eventually, if they do really well, they become a 'chain' of stores (because they provide goods that people want at a price they will/can afford to pay). Sorry, that's the real adult world. If you don't like it, there's not much you can do about it - except moan, I suppose, but what's the point in that? Why not moan about something about which you can make a difference?

I think in reality the comments I read on this site are more to do with inverse snobbery. I have read posts from people bitching about chains and how LL should stay the same, yet in the next sentence praising Iceland for being a shop for 'real' people. Is Iceland not a large chain owned by a multi millionaire businessman (and other shareholders)? Because it is cheaper to shop there, it appears to be more acceptable to a few. Fair enough, if your complaint is that certain shops are too expensive (although surely there's room for a range of shops catering to a range of pockets?), but lumping your objections all together as being against 'chains' is intellectually dishonest - it's not chains you are against - its retail units selling at prices you think are too high.

As for Cafe Nero, although I've only been in there about 3 times I'd be sorry to see it close, merely on the grounds that there would be an empty unit which would probably stay empty for quite a while. Also (a few) local people would lose their jobs and generally it wouldn't be good for the local economy. Frankly, the crime of selling a few toasted whatevers and muffins without getting permission is hardly the sort of thing that warrants such excitement. Its hardly as if the Council and its rules and regulations are always working to our benefit as a community is it?! I would have thought that a significant fine would be proportionate.

End of rant.

I don't go into cafe nero/starsmhucks type places simply because they are unbearably dull. Close it down by all means, but for the love of coffee don't let one of the other big boys take it's place. LL is still a bastion of independent shops...let's try to preserve that for as long as possible before we are inundated with bloody McDonalds and the rest of them.

I think the distinction between local / chains is a red herring in most cases - tney have the same base motivation, whether they are 1 or 1000 shops.

Price has got nothing to do with it - all stores they charge whatever thay can get away wioth - we all know that

Where I do object is anyone riding over laws for their own finciacial benefit - be it Blue Mountain cafe, Neros or EDD

Even though macdonalds own caffe nero I cant see them opening up on LL. If anything they are closing down branches...

Really? Where are you getting this from. As far as I can tell it's owned by Gerry Ford with an equity firm as the substantial shareholder.

They bought Aroma coffee off McDonalds a few years back, but can find no evidence that McDonalds own them.

Personally I'm alright with Nero, and have often said that at least it's home grown (see discussions passim about 'Italian Coffee' Company vs Italian 'Coffee Company'). I use it here in Camden all the time; I don't in Dulwich as generally I'd rather have a nice pint.

I agree with dulwichbloke, leave the poor old chains alone, what is it with middle class people and 'independent shops'.. Dont get me wrong, I love small chains and local businesses, but for goodness sakes we need a balance. If all you people against chains stuck to your guns and only shopped in small indies then Sainsbury's and the like would be long gone, but the truth is the majority of you shop at both but are reluctant to admit it!

Louisa.

Fair play. I do know exactly what you are saying, but I just don't believe in class, or at least it's far too broad.

For example, I had a bit of a chat with ChavWithaLawDegree about this, and she said she'd probably call me middle class, and I can see why she would, but then my background is in many ways as working class as you can get. Most of my friends would probably be labelled middle class, but the difference in earnings and even lifestyles between us is huge, and some of us "middle class" people are probably far less well off than many "working class" home owning tradesmen.

Aaaanyway, that's just what I think of it all.

I think some are missing the point of being 'anti chain' if you like. The chains can economically strangle local businesses if allowed to. This is the whole point of having planning controls which are enforced. Nobody is suggesting that LL is or should be some sort of 50's/60's timewarp but at the same time there is an opportunity for us all and southwark to preserve something that is good, ie the shopping centre that is LL.

If we all allow big business to compete unfairly, which is what I would suggest Nero are doing here, then we will not have any independents left. LL is no different from many other High Sts where there has been a move from a large number of small shops to these being made uneconomic by competition from bigger traders costs have come down allowing small traders in again which has in return made the whole thing more attractive to the multiples. Look at the Tesco Metros and Sainsburys Express? There are not there as a community service, some years ago the large supermarket chains realised that they were losing highly profitable trade to smaller supermarkets/corner shops and determined to do something about it hence the change and the fact they control more of the market than ever. This is why you need strictly adherred to palnning controls in this day and age. Or the b*ggers will walk all over us and our choice will be removed completely.

>>If we all allow big business to compete unfairly, which is what I would suggest Nero are doing here,<<

Caffe Nero had permission to open as a coffee shop.....it's allowing people eat hot paninis which has stitched them up. The words "sledghammer" and "walnut" come to mind in the Council's wanting them to close completely...

Maurice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes close down the multi-national coffee shops.

> Then we can all sit home and watch brilliant media

> provided by that local independent Time Warner.

>

> Marvelous!

Don't get me on the fourth estate. I'll never stop ranting.