El Paso place on L Lane

seanmlow

The ongoing emptiness does bother me - I can only assume a favourable lease negotiated long ago, unsustainable when it's up for renewal

I've never had a bad time there but the food is, well it's not great and prone to being ridiculously salty. It has served well but if I was the owners and wanted to stay there I would shorten the menu, get some good mexican dishes on there and try and attract more punters

James is right... it's a bit grimy, and the food is somewhat "retro". It is also usually empty, so would not go with a small group.

However, if you don't mind the above, and you have enough people to provide your own atmosphere, it's worth a go. Food is inexpensive, beers are cheap, and the cocktails certainly look "interesting". Service is friendly enough.

I was put off visting this eating place for ages when I first moved to ED a few years back, due to the tacky exterior. However, I have to say I love it, good food, reasonable prices and the decor makes for a lighthearted evening. I'd recommend trying it if you haven't been before, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Jen x

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The ongoing emptiness does bother me - I can only

> assume a favourable lease negotiated long ago,

> unsustainable when it's up for renewal

>

> I've never had a bad time there but the food is,

> well it's not great and prone to being

> ridiculously salty. It has served well but if I

> was the owners and wanted to stay there I would

> shorten the menu, get some good mexican dishes on

> there and try and attract more punters

in other words send in gordon

Cheap, cheerful and cheesy >:D< which are all plusses in my books but I think they could benefit from a bit of a menu revamp and a spruce-up.

I am not for a minute suggesting they become some purveyor of poncy, ?authentic Mexican cuisine? for those who can tell the origin of a re-fried bean by its smell and consistency and will only touch a nacho that has been prepared with the Guatemalan clay-ground method. (As such people should be locked in lead boxes and shot into the sun to prevent their self-awareness from turning the space-time continuum into any more of a slurry pit than it already is.)

Just a window clean, carpet shampoo and some fresher ingredients.

Other than that. Cocktails, beer and burritos. What?s not to like?

I love the place, it's tacky, it's old school, it's fun, it's cheap, the food is okay - not special, but not horrible, and lines the stomach. The drinks are great :)-D

I always read things on here saying how empty it is, but whenever I've been in there it's been at least half full.

Opinions are divided, so just give it a try and decide for yourself, even if you don't like it, it won't have set you back too much.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Not a place I've ever actually ventured into but

> I'm told that the Margaritas are worth the visit

> alone.

What I reckon:

Yes, the food certainly isn't Mexican food like I have had (and that wasn't 100% as I was in southern California), but it's not a terrible effort given the ingredients available to them.

The Margaritas ARE EXCELLENT! Although I think I may have had to ask to keep the ice in mine, can't remember...

Service was good when I went.

Overall it's a bit of fun, and even more fun if you like margaritas as much as I do. Oh, and I love the decor, and how they spell it 'Passo' out front.

spadetownboy Wrote:

> best mexican on lordship lane, i like it others

> dont, nice food good drink, but only thing is to

> go along and make your own mind up, and if you

> dont like it you can always get the 176 home;-)

Only Mexican on LL isn't it? Ha ha. I've been to Mexico (several years ago now) and the food there was crap all over, nothing like the 'Tex-Mex' vibe in restaurants here. I lived on Avocadoes (which were fantastic) in Mexico and don't think I saw a refried bean the whole time. Anyway I digress, never been to El Paso but I'm interested in the claim that it does great Margheritas. Can anyone second that?