Menu at the Bishop

I love the Bishop

Me and the missus can be found there most Saturday afternoons after the shopping

The staff are amazing, really friendly and courteous, the manager must hold some kind of weekly meeting on customer service

One thing though, the food, although great in what it is, is a fairly limited menu

So if you could, what would suggestions would you ask them to add?

My Suggestion would be to continue the brilliant eggs benedict past the 1.00pm deadline!!!

The missus reckons that one item on the menu should be rotated once a week

b

I guess I really should try The Bishop one afternoon, in an attempt to change my opinion of the place... Went in there on Saturday night (quite late), and was immediately reminded why I hate going there, it's too busy, full of tossers on heat, and the doormen are rude bastards!

rifleman harris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Had 2 pints of dutch or belgian lager in the

> Summer and paid ?10 for the privilage. ?5 per

> pint???? shurely shome mishtake!

Drink English beer in an English pub and it'll be cheaper.

I like the menu - but would like to see some easier / cheape snacks. If they would sell the East Dulwich Deli sausage roll that would be perfect with a pint of Youngs / Adnams / Greene King.

Yes, Saturday and Sunday afternoons are the best. Not too crazy about the evenings.

The smoked haddock & parmesan is a good snack, and I miss the chicken and white bean stew. The vegetarian lasagna is good and so is the venison chili.

They should indeed rotate one of the dishes each week and consider the winners for the fixed menu. I'd eat there more often if the menu were a bit more "dynamic". Best staff anywhere in London! I hope these compliments won't make them arrogant - keep it up guys.

As we've seen, much discussion over value of a pint/bottle here http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,67408 and that anything less than ?3.50 in a tied pub is a loss leader.

That said, sympathies to affected publicans aside for a moment, I avoid places that are that expensive, and generally drink bitter where possible as it's a)nicer* and b)cheaper.

Incidentally I was first charged more than ?3 for a pint in Croydon back in 1997 in what's now Yates, struggling to remember what it was back then.

*I can't do fighting lager any more, only cooking, and it's generally of a pretty poor standard.

Keef Wrote:

> I guess I really should try The Bishop one

> afternoon, in an attempt to change my opinion of

> the place... Went in there on Saturday night

> (quite late), and was immediately reminded why I

> hate going there, it's too busy, full of tossers

> on heat, and the doormen are rude bastards!

C'mon Keef I doubt you went in there with an open mind did you? I reckon you went in thinking "I hate this place" and you always will so it never stands a chance in your book. But that's exactly how it should be. If everyone thought every pub should be like The Bishop it would be a sad and tragic day indeed.

Personally I think it's a great offering in its space and deserving of its Best Bar award this year - it has good service and consistently good food. Yes it is becoming a meat market on Fri /Sat nights and yes it's not the place to go for a quiet pint at these times. But when that's what I want the CPT is wins hands down.

The little blonde lady that keeps following me around (MrsBen I think) has a thing about hard eggs. She only eats them if they are ROCK HARD. Each time we go out for an ED breakfast it's the same charade...she asks for "hard eggs" they come back a bit soft. Then they are duly sent back again, usually with eye rolling and tutting from the waitress. Or total disdain if it is somewhere like the Blue Brick (great fry ups there). I can sympathise - after all what decent person wants ROCK HARD eggs??

And so to The Bishop - first batch came back hard enough in my book but as usual not for MrsBen. She complained and got a smile and an apology. The chef then politely asked if she'd mind if he cooked a fresh batch. They came back extra hard. they asked her if it was good enough. It was. She was happy. What a palava (I have to put up with this each week!) but be honest - where else would you get service like that after complaining in ED?

Go on a Saturday lunchtime for a nice meal and avoid the evenings. I'm like a tosser on heat in there after 7pm.

MrBen Wrote:

> C'mon Keef I doubt you went in there with an open mind did you? I reckon you went in thinking "I hate this place" and you always will so it never stands a chance in your book.

Not true, I went there thinking "Thank God, somewhere I can get a pint". I don't judge a place and refuse to ever budge, there have been plenty of places I've not really liked, but grown to love, and places I've loved and grown to hate.

I have been there recently on a Saturday afternoon, and sat out back smoking in the heated yeard which was quite nice, but the Friday Saturday nights are horrid, and I'm not an old fella who only likes a quiet old boozer.

About 2 minutes after they served me a pint and a short, I tried to go out for a smoke, and the doorman said "we're closed, if you go out you stay out!", and then within minutes they're coming round hassling you to finish your pint and get out. Why then do they serve to that time, surely stop serving a bit earlier, and give people time to drink up.

Sorry but as it is, it's just The Forresters with a bit of a face lift, no real difference.

Keef - try the food. Remember that big red and white sign outside the Forresters that said "ALL MEALS ?1.99". Well its a bit like that but better. And with friendlier clientele. And Eggs Benedict.

They could have kept the pool table though. I quite fancy my chances after 3 pints.

Hey Mr Ben, I've sat behind you and Mrs Ben in the Bishop and been through the crazy egg thing with you. I'm always a bit worried when other people complain about the food somewhere and mine hasn't come yet, in case mine gets caught up in sorting out the other people's complaint iyswim. So I was very relieved when you explained the egg thing so nicely and the bishop staff were cool with it and my food came and was tasty and everyone was happy!

The menu does change, it's consistently good - I've made some mistakes - too much chilli relishon the burger, and my son would like macaroni cheese back on the menu, but we keep going back. Have been in there on a Friday and the clientele is v different to Saturday lunchtime. Hurray for the Bishop.

katgod Wrote:

> Hey Mr Ben, I've sat behind you and Mrs Ben in the

> Bishop and been through the crazy egg thing with

> you.

How funny. And embarassing! And a recommendation for the manner in which MrBen complains too. I was brought up well. Sorry to have subjected you to that Katgod. MrsBen is used to the transatlantic way of getting your eggs however you like. Except it doesnt work in England. Unless it would seem, you are at The Bishop. And full service marks all round. But you raise a fine point - BRING BACK THE MACARONI CHEESE. Please.

Keef Wrote:

> Can't remember when I first paid ?3 for a pint,

> but didn't mind ?3 too much as it's a nice round

> number. My usual in the CPT is now ?3.10, and

> that's just an annoying amount!

I can think of more annoying things things about the CPT than ?3.10 a pint....