When are the fireworks going to end?????

Susan

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ONCE a year it's like this, face up to it and make

> the most of the other 364 days.

> Don't you prefer it all happening one evening than

> several evenings ?

Then why are they going off again tonight? Like someone else said in an earlier post, it's been going on since diwali, and really it isnt't fair to expect entire neighbourhoods to 'just grin an bear it'. Some kids will sleep through it, and a fair few will not, and repeated nights of not being able to get proper sleep can turn into weeks of not being able to sleep...agony for the kids, agony for the parents.

Once a year? One looks forward to it. Once a year for 2 weeks? One does not.

OK, YOU GOT ME UNDER TRADE DESCRIPTIONS, CUFF ME AND TAKE ME AWAY, IT WAS ME GUV. HONEST.

awilliams123 Wrote:

> Then why are they going off again tonight?

xxxxxxxxx

Perhaps because for some people it was the only night they had free to have a fireworks party, or whatever they're doing?

I'm gobsmacked by this thread, I must admit. It's not like the whole of East Dulwich has been one big noisy all-night party for weeks!

awilliams123 Wrote:

> KidKruger Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > ONCE a year it's like this, face up to it and

> make

> > the most of the other 364 days.

> > Don't you prefer it all happening one evening

> than

> > several evenings ?

>

>

> Then why are they going off again tonight? Like

> someone else said in an earlier post, it's been

> going on since diwali, and really it isnt't fair

> to expect entire neighbourhoods to 'just grin an

> bear it'. Some kids will sleep through it, and a

> fair few will not, and repeated nights of not

> being able to get proper sleep can turn into weeks

> of not being able to sleep...agony for the kids,

> agony for the parents.

>

> Onve a year? One looks forward to it. Once a year

> for 2 weeks? One does not.

Don't be such a misery. Live a little. It's really not that bad.

The Fireworks Regulations seem pretty clear to me :

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/1836/regulation/7/made

In this regulation, ?night hours? means the period beginning at 11 pm and ending at 7 am the following day and a ?permitted fireworks night? means a period?

(a)beginning at 11 pm on the first day of the Chinese New Year and ending at 1 am the following day;

(b)beginning at 11 pm on 5th November and ending at 12 am the following day;

©beginning at 11 pm on the day of Diwali and ending at 1 am the following day; or

(d)beginning at 11 pm on 31st December and ending at 1 am the following day.

For example Haringey Council website makes it pretty clear.

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/noise_animalcontrol/noise/fireworks.htm

When can I use fireworks?

The Fireworks Regulations 2004 prohibit anyone under 18 from possessing fireworks, and anyone except professionals from possessing display fireworks. The regulations also prohibit the use of fireworks at night (11pm - 7am) in England and Wales, with extensions for the following festivals:

Until 1am on the night of Chinese New Year

Until 1am on the night of Diwali

Until 1am on New Year's Eve

Until midnight on 5 November

These regulations are enforced by the police. There is a penalty of up to ?5000 or 6 months in prison for breach of curfew.

I don't agree with the OP, but at least she expressed herself politely - there do seem to be an awful lot of people queuing up to enjoy having a go at her, sometimes accusing her of saying things she hasn't said, which seems more than is deserved.

I couldn't agree more Moos.

I also don't agree with the OP in that I too have a baby but don't feel that people's enjoyment on Guy Fawkes night should be curtailed to accommodate those of us who are trying to keep little ones asleep, but why must so many people jump on the OP to jeer.

What about the dogs??!! I have a small child and except that they might be woken for a few nights a year, I'm also looking forward to them getting excited about them in a few years to come.

What does bother me is the distress it causes to the dogs. If you know it is going to be once or twice a year on a certain night then you can plan accordingly and make sure you are in with them to comfort them but when they go on for 1/2 weeks either side of the 5th there is nothing you can really do than except your dog will be in a mild state of distress for a couple of weeks. It is this that I feel is a bigger problem than a few babies being woken.

I also agree that a lot of you on here are far too keen to belittle and insult people at the slightest chance. If I had paid a little more to this forum before I moved here, I probably wouldn't have!

I'm just so glad this forum is not what ED is actually like and the sad and bitter people who hide behind their computers to jump on the next passing band wagon make up such a small percentage of the people who make ED the wonderful place it is!

the-e-dealer Wrote:

> and cats!

> I was considering starting a be Nasty to Everyone

> Thread!

xxxxxxx

You're extending your Be Nasty To James Barber posts to others, then?

:))

V: More than 400 years ago a great citizen wished to embed the fifth of November forever in our memory. His hope was to remind the world that fairness, justice, and freedom are more than words, they are perspectives. So if you've seen nothing, if the crimes of government remain unknown to you, then I suggest you allow the fifth of November to pass unmarked.

http://www.philipcoppens.com/vendetta_07.jpg