Filming outside Budgens on Northcross rd this am....

1. Pedestrian crossing closed with a "sorry" sign.

2. Bright lights shining in faces of drivers driving North.

3. Large vans parked within a few feet of the (Southside) junction of Northcross Road and Lordship Lane.

4. Pavement on East side of Lordship Lane blocked to pedestrians.

5. Northcross Road restricted to single lane with parking cones.

Someone gave permission for this travesty.

"Very irresponsible action: filming at a road junction and shutting the pedestrian crossing.

Who gave permission for this dangerous activity?"

Actually, I thought this too, and there was a woman police officer leaning against the wall of Budgens in North Cross Road (although she may have been an actor or an film extra).

And for those who can't see the problem of closing a pedestrian crossing, or ask how dangerous can it be to walk a few yards to cross there, there wouldn't be a crossing at all if it wasn't considered dangerous. I had to cross there yesterday and, as someone who is disabled (not a wheelchair user), I didn't find it very easy and none of the traffic was giving way at the crossing.

I'm certainly not saying that the filming shouldn't take place, but both the council and the police receive money from the film companies to be allowed to film, and some of that money should be used to ensure that existing safety features are maintained, probably by having the police person or a traffic warden at the out of order crossing.

"Bloody hell - ban the fish van on Saturday then. It's surely a hazard, especially with his noisy generator masking the sounds on oncoming traffic."

Neither the fish or butchers van, or their generators, cause the pedestrian crossing to be closed. However, if they operated in such a way that they did, you can bet that both the council and the police would be down on them like a ton of bricks.

"Ban everything. Just in case."

No need to ban everything, just to make sure that part of the fees received are used to ensure that people (council tax and police precept payers) aren't inconvenienced and put at increased risk by profit making film companies using public property. It would cost the police and/or the council around ?100 to have that crossing staffed during the filming, or maybe one of the 'few Cops floating about' could have done it - then it wouldn't have cost anything additional at all.

jumpinjourno Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Its an ITV drama due out in the summer... any idea

> what it is called or who is in it...

Yes I do. It's called "Budgens" - a new reality show following the lives of shop workers in ED's premier 24 hour emporium. Episode 1 finds Ali and Ahmed short staffed and struggling to serve the great, the good and the drunk of East Dulwich with bacon wheat crunchies, cigarettes, fairy liquid and warm tins of Carling.

It features cameos from James Nesbett, Timothy Spall, Kate Ford and Blue the dog from the Drum.