Robbers on bikes

Jcon123

The failure to patrol properly, or at all, well pre-dates any budget cuts locally - even when we did have a part-time police station in LL. I can recall 15 or more years ago widespread mugging for phones of school children. Both my children were mugged for their phones, almost all their contemporaries were as well. This lawlessness is neither new nor a symptom of 'Tory cuts'. Both children were mugged during Labour's tenure. Bike and moped robberies may be new, but robbery itself certainly isn't.

Do we really think the Surrey Canal route is too dangerous to ride, even at cyclists rush hour? When I go (between 7.30 - 8.00 am and 6-7 pm) there are always dozens of fellow cyclists. Surely this would be off-putting to the would be bicycle thieves? I love cycling that route and would really hate that everybody abandoned it.

treehugger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do we really think the Surrey Canal route is too

> dangerous to ride, even at cyclists rush hour?

> When I go (between 7.30 - 8.00 am and 6-7 pm)

> there are always dozens of fellow cyclists. Surely

> this would be off-putting to the would be bicycle

> thieves? I love cycling that route and would

> really hate that everybody abandoned it.

Suppose it depends if they'd stand up for each other (as there's no police presence apparently). The robbers count that they won't - or don't want to get involved for various reasons.

But if you change route, so could the robbers. We can't let Katie Hopkins's idea of no go areas come true.

Another way to help with this would be to request that the council Community Wardens do more frequent patrols in the area, separate to the reduced local police teams.

It would help if several of you contacted the relevant local ward councillor or else reported to the council's 7525 5777 anti social behaviour number (which channels information into SASBU), giving relevant times and locations so that extra Warden patrols can be coordinated.

A higher visible presence from various authorities will almost certainly simply displace the activities but, as long as people keep reporting, the patrols can also be varied and redirected.

With the issues of budget cuts, there isn't one solution to everything... but getting the right hand and the left hand to coordinate resources can sometimes help.

Sally Eva Wrote:

> missyelliott Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > This makes me so sad to read. I cycle back

> through

> > the canal path as well. So now I feel I need to

> > take a new route. You think cycling is the best

> > means to get from A to B to collect your kids

> in

> > time. Seems I am stuck between crap Thameslink

> > trains and now bike mugging threats!

>

> There is an alternative to the Canal Path using

> Sumner Road -- it's part of the old London Cycling

> Network and plans are in hand to improve it again.

>

> A lot depends on where you are going of course. If

> you PM me and tell me your approx start and finish

> points I can suggest a route.

Thanks Sally - I know the route you mentioned. It's just not as pleasant but thank you. I normally switch to that in the darker months

Peckham 1 mile radius - bicycles

www.police.uk/metropolitan/00BEGQ/crime/bicycle-theft/+N5LEYC/ https://www.police.uk/metropolitan/00BEGQ/crime/bicycle-theft/+N5LEYC/

Lidl 2 Morrisons 1

I see there are also separate crime stats and maps for each ward.

Goose Green - bicycles

www.police.uk/metropolitan/00MD23/crime/bicycle-theft/ https://www.police.uk/metropolitan/00MD23/crime/bicycle-theft/

Dulwich Hill

www.police.uk/metropolitan/00BEGH/crime/ https://www.police.uk/metropolitan/00BEGH/crime/

Dulwich Village

www.police.uk/metropolitan/00BEGZ/crime/ https://www.police.uk/metropolitan/00BEGZ/crime/

Dulwich Wood

www.police.uk/metropolitan/00BE02N/crime/ https://www.police.uk/metropolitan/00BE02N/crime/

Note the Draw Your Own Area and 1 Mile Radius buttons for alternative views.

Specifying a postcode in Find Your Neighbourhood is a convenient method of centreing the map. Changes of view mode or location can be slow: check that the page is being reloaded before giving up.

Hi all

I am very sorry to hear about all of this. I have raised it with our local Goose Green Safer Neighbourhood team. I am told that in the past six months there have been three reports raised regarding crimes of this type: 2 attempted thefts and 1 theft. There have been three arrests.

I suspect that the number of reports means that some incidents have not been reported. If you do witness or experience a crime like this then please do report it.

I understand that the police will post further information on here in due course.

As noted above, cuts to the police from the Tory and Tory-LibDem governments has really affected police numbers in the area but we are lucky to have a very committed team working in Goose Green nonetheless.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if there is anything I can do.

Best wishes

James

Maybe what the CPS prosecute under (theft or robbery) depends on what they think they can get a conviction on.

A situation where an accomplice causes you to crash after which someone steals your bike may be difficult to pin the robbery charge especially if they use underage youngsters to cause the 'accident'.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/theft-act-offences

JohnL Wrote:

> Maybe what the CPS prosecute under (theft or

> robbery) depends on what they think they can get a

> conviction on.

>

> A situation where an accomplice causes you to

> crash after which someone steals your bike may be

> difficult to pin the robbery charge especially if

> they use underage youngsters to cause the

> 'accident'.

>

> Indeed they do - the CPS are often accused of 'under-charging' to get an easy conviction. Cynics sometimes say it's for the performance statistics to make them look good - an easy conviction (or a gleeful guilty plea on a lesser charge) looks good on the conviction rates stats. Perhaps that's less good for society though.

My point was only that there is a big difference between theft (e.g. cutting a lock and stealing a bike) and robbery, which involves using violence or the threat of violence/causing fear of violence to someone riding a bike as a means of robbing it. On this thread we were discussing cases where people have been riding a bike and been deliberately forced off it before it is stolen. On the facts that's plain and obvious robbery, not theft.

What the CPS decide to charge (on the rare occasion anyone is actually caught) is a different issue altogether.

Good. It bloody well should be in the news. Wait until the read the posts about the machete attacks.

We're lucky to have a local forum where we can share experiences, otherwise it would not be common knowledge and we would not know what's happening in our own community and the risks to watch out for.