Tetra Pak recycling

britvic

Southwark recycling road show will be at the wintergreen fair on Saturday,i think katlyn one of the recycling officers will be in attendance. In their defence southwark are looking at tetra pak and are looking at ways to recycle it. They are in talks with WRAP and supermarkets about recycling tetra. Someone said earlier that it could not be recycled because of the lining inside tetra was hard impossible to break down. Im sure the southwark recycling road show can answer your concerns,or southwark recycling/waste minimisation.

• 1 month later...
For the first time in quite a while, I went to Sainsburys on Dog Kennel Hill yesterday and noticed that they have a "Cartons" recycling bank included in the set of recycling banks at the back of the car park. I assume "Cartons" means TetraPak (or the like) and so residents of ED, whether or not you choose to shop at JS, you now have recycling facility within relatively easy reach. For those closer to Forest Hill, the Sainsburys car park there, also has a bin for recycling TetraPak cartons.

No! If a pak gets through, it'll spoil the paper and that will just compound the waste. Bin it or send it off to the Tetra Pak recycling place.

And, for ?2, you can get a wooden orange squeezer from Roullier White, and I reckon that shop whose name I forget near to the Coop will sell one of those old-fashioned juicers that collect the pips. Nero

Perhaps if enough people put enough TetraPaks into their recycling so that enough paper is spoiled and can't be sold-on by Southwark council, Southwark council will manage to get their thumbs out of their collective asses and find a way to allow Tetra Paks to be put into their recycling without it spoiling the paper.. like other councils seem to have already managed to do.

I know! I'll move back to Wandsworth (or the various other boroughs) where 'the boffins' have managed to come-up with a solution to this terribly perplexing conundrum, allowing everyone to pop their recycling in the same sack without the world coming to an end.

It's such a big issue to Southwark that they've had to take the drastic steps of..er.. making no real effort to either tell people about it or do anything to solve the 'problem'.

Apart from 'identifying five sites' (ie eco-friendly supermarkets which 95% of will people drive to) - well done Southwark!

Hello!

I have good news!! After several weeks of putting my cartons in the recycling bags (and then having them returned to me) I decided to contact the Council. The person that you need to speak to is Jessica Binks (don't ask me what's her job title). Anyway to cut a long story short there is a website where you can type in your location and it will tell you the nearest place to get rid of these things. Uptill several weeks ago every borough had somewhere except for..... you guessed it- Southwark!

However Southwark Council have finally got off their backsides and I am pleased to tell you that there is 1 (yes 1) designated bin for Tetra Pak cartons in ED and it's @ Sainsbury's. I think that FH Sainsbury's already has one too.

I pointed out to Jessica that it would be most helpful if the Council couuld put out flyers to tell residents not to put these cartons in their recycling bags. Apparently they are working on such a leaflet. I also told them about this ws and that perhaps they should tell all of you but as they haven't bothered I thought that I would do their job for them.