Christmas in East Dulwich

mikeb

This year, we're spending Christmas in London for the first time. Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations of festive things to do in London. We have a baby so we're looking for daytime activities - clubbing is probably out!

MikeB

i'd recommend the winter ice fair at Hyde Park with skating and a German Christmas market.

as for ED, I would always recommend the Dulwich Picture Gallery for a choir/carol service in mid December at the chapel. It's always very festive and some wonderful voices.

Here are details of Christmas services at St John?s, Goose Green:

Sunday 16th December:

10.am: Mass

11.30am: Children?s Nativity Pageant

6.00pm: Traditional Christmas celebration of Nine Lessons and Christmas Carols (by candlelight)

Christmas Eve:

4.00pm: Christingle Service (suitable for younger children and families). Collection in aid of The Children?s Society. Last year nearly 1 million children and adults attended a Christingle event in the UK in aid of The Children's Society, raising a record breaking ?1,224,818. Everyone is welcome to join us this year and help to shine a light into the darkness of thousands of disadvantaged children's lives.

11pm: Carols

11.30pm: Midnight Mass

Christmas Day:

10.00am: Family Mass

I'm sure we went the Herne last Christmas day morning for a pint. Much nicer than the Dog, because of the smoke, at the time. Mind you they don't seem to buy you one these days. In the Castle on Christmas morning, Olive, she's still alive God bless her, used to buy everyone one drink. Pint or a short (sherry for the ladies of course) and regulars only. Perhaps one or more of the independent bars/pubs can reinstigate this excellent tradition, gets the customers spending, but I somehow doubt it.

Having young kids really changes Christmas and New Year. In a good way. Although I do miss the old days of getting completely trashed on a nice cocktail of chemicals and alcohol with anything hardcore as the catalyst. No it tends to be a nice dinner with like parents, a few glasses of something expensive, something chilled murmuring from the speakers and in bed by 1am latest. Can't wait till they get a bit older.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> EDOldie Wrote:

>

> In the Castle on Christmas morning, Olive, she's

> still

> > alive God bless her, used to buy everyone one

> > drink.

>

> Surely you mean Mary?

No I don't know Mary. This was about 78/79/80. Olive had the Pub after her husband died, with her son, Colin, and daughter in law. Then a very nice Irish publican took it over with his family but I can't remember his name. The son was Paul I think if that rings any bells.

wasn't in London last year, but year before we were in The Gowlett on Christmas morning, which was lovely - and I seem to remember a free glass of bubbles into the bargain! No idea if it'll be open this year...

As for carol services - there's a lovely carols by candlelight at All Saints' in Peckham (the big church you can see from Peckham Rye Station platform) - this year it's 6pm on 16 Dec.

xx

I would recommend, if you want to make your little ones happy, going to see Santa at Booteeki, Melbourne Grove, (Near Train Station). He has a cult following and sadly bookings are advisable as it is said that this grotto is the best traditional one around.