Potential burglar scouting on Crawthew Grove (or just urban paranoia?)

se22cat

I had our front window open downstairs to get some fresh air this evening, and was working in the room behind it with the light on when someone rang our bell twice, I turned the hall light on and just as I was going towards the door, the voice of a young-ish man said "very sorry, meant to knock next door". Normally I always open the door to get a look at the person, but they sounded polite and apologetic so thought nothing of it and went back to what I was doing.

It wasn't until a few minutes later that I realised nobody had rung or knocked at either of our neighbours, nor had there been anyone speaking in the immediate vicinity.

Am kicking myself now for not bothering to see what they looked like, but I think it's either clear that they were either an opportunistic thief, or all the break ins around here have put me in a state of paranoia.

Either way, just thought I'd post. Let the ridicule begin!

You are not paranoid. This is typical operating method for burglars.

If suspicious at the time call 101. If you had opened the door and were even more suspicious 999.

NEXT are useful deterrents as they video someone approaching the doorbell and while they're waiting - local Police officer recommended them to me.

I feel doubly stupid and frustrated at myself for not taking the opportunity to get a look at the guy : (

I definitely plan on getting something like a NEST setup in the future, you can also make your own with a few Raspberry Pi's, though you have to be careful to choose a weatherproof case with adequate cooling for the later models.

ED is brilliant, let's keep on looking out for each other!

Our neighbours on both sides always offer warm and friendly greetings to visitors, so even if they opened their door without it being rung, would have heard their greeting, but heard nothing (window was open, so would have heard).

Thanks for the tip, I guess a tidy up of the garden and a visible alarm are in order. Maybe this will finally convince wifey we should get a woofer : )