Bands that have never reformed

jctg

Joe Strummer and Mick Jones ended up on stage together at the end of a Strummer and Mescaleros fire-fighters benefit show, performing some Clash songs, the month before Joe died. It went pretty well apparently and I remember reading something about them plotting to turn up at a gig together, "undercover" as a Clash tribute band...I reckon had Strummer lived The Clash would have played again - maybe it'd only have been a "worthy" one-off, but I think they'd have done something.

• 4 weeks later...

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I really don't think a Clash reunion would have

> made sense.

>

> I can understand the Sex Pistols coming back for a

> pay day, as frankly they never really stood for

> anything much. But The Clash were different.

I find it very hard to believe you've said that. The Pistols were the real deal. There was no one to touch them in '76/77. They were it. The Clash however, were mostly a bunch of chancers that would have jumped on any bandwagon that was going. Good band though. Saw 'em a couple of times.

• 2 years later...

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I really don't think a Clash reunion would have

> > made sense.

> >

> > I can understand the Sex Pistols coming back for

> a

> > pay day, as frankly they never really stood for

> > anything much. But The Clash were different.

>

>

> I find it very hard to believe you've said that.

> The Pistols were the real deal. There was no one

> to touch them in '76/77. They were it. The Clash

> however, were mostly a bunch of chancers that

> would have jumped on any bandwagon that was going.

> Good band though. Saw 'em a couple of times.

I have to agree with Jah. It's hard to not be patronising but Jeremy I presume you are way too young to understand just what an impact the pistols had in 76/77. Firstly on youth itself, secondly on the establishment and thirdly on countless other bands/artists that followed them.

I was 14 in 1976 - they changed the way I felt about almost everything and many of my mates too. Not saying everyone our age felt that way but many did. A massive catalysts - although with really just one decent album.

Yeah I was zero years old in 76... so no experience of the cultural phenomenon. But that's not really what I'm talking about, and besides, maybe that makes my opinion more objective. Sex Pistols (to me) seem naive, and only political in a sort of broad anti-establishment way. Clash lyrics were a bit more intelligent, articulate and politically meaningful.

jctg Wrote:

> taper Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Dead kennedys still tour, albeit without Jello.

>

> Similarly:

>

> Genesis (with Peter Gabriel)

> Marillion (with Fish)

> The Stranglers (with Hugh Cornwell)

Thotch (with Brian Pern)

I agree with Jeremy about the Pistols, I wasn't born til 78, so obviously wasn't around at the time, but they didn't really have a cause other than "fuck the establishment", and you could also argue that in a way they were as manufactured as anything else.

That's not to say they didn't have a massive inpact and influence, but I don't believe they gave a shit about getting a message across.

they were situationists innit

- Fuck the establishment

- do it yourself

- don't let people tell you where you belong

- challenge everything

- get pissed deystroy

- never trust a hippie

- Pink Floyd are crap

all profoundly important :)

Well pretty much everyone was a 'chancer' back then but the bandwagon jumping plastic-punk tag was usually saved for w*nkers like The Stranglers.

I loved the Pistols (saw them on the SPOTS tour) but they felt pretty elusive pretty quickly and all anyone seemed to care about was where you could get an EMI or A&M version of Anarchy - when White Riot came out, however, it all exploded for me - bands like Chelsea (arty winkers), London (love 'em), Subway Sect and Eater were suddenly everywhere and you could see a different band or two every week. And that first Clash album was a stonker - the Pistols album may be more iconic but it didn't come out until 6 months afterwards and that felt like an AGE back then.

miga Wrote:

> i like the clash and i like the pistols, but

> clearly the damned were the best band of the bunch

> :-)

The intro to New Rose is one of the best...ever.

For me the Pistols were Punk, they captured the zeitgeist, bands like the Clash, good as they were, merely followed...

red devil Wrote:

> For me the Pistols were Punk, they captured the

> zeitgeist,

Right place, right time, right management.

And there's nothing wrong with that by the way.

Joe Strummer was a posh boy slumming it, or should that be strumming it? Always felt he was a bit of a fake. Whereas all of the Pistols were proper working class boys from council estates and they meant it man. As for lyrics Lydon wrote some gems.

"Cheap holidays in other peoples misery," from Holidays In The Sun.

and

"We're the flowers in the dustbin," from God Save The Queen are a couple of great lines that spring to mind.

I don't know about the thinky bit, but within two weeks of hearing Anarchy in the UK I threw away all my old Oxford Bags; told all the 6th formers - as I'd always actually known that Yes were actually shite and I didn't want to lsiten to them anymore; got my mate to cut my hair and stuck a saftey pin through my ear. All very suburban punk but amazingly liberating when you are 14. And, the adults were scared...which was the best thing.