Bands that have never reformed

jctg

After today's news of The Stone Roses reforming can anyone think of any bands that have never reformed? Leaving aside those that couldn't for obvious reasons, ie. Nirvana, The Clash etc etc. Here's some off the top of my head:

The Smiths

The Jam

ABBA

Dire Straits

Husker Du

Orange Juice

The Housemartins

Elastica

ELO

The Replacements

Dead Kennedys

Black Flag

Talking Heads

New Fast Automatic Daffodils

Slowdive

Ride

Red House Painters

Any others?

taper Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dead kennedys still tour, albeit without Jello.

Similarly:

Genesis (with Peter Gabriel)

Marillion (with Fish)

The Stranglers (with Hugh Cornwell)

jctg Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> taper Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Dead kennedys still tour, albeit without Jello.

>

> Similarly:

>

> Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) Dunno

> Marillion (with Fish) OMG I hated that Punch & Judy song

> The Stranglers (with Hugh Cornwell)

Well I had a drink with Hugh a few years back, though he got the right hump when I even mentioned The Stranglers, in fact he walked off.

When my pal came back from the bar he said "Where's Hugh ?"

I said "He walked off"

He said "Did you mention The Stranglers"

I said "Yes"

He said "Ah, did I not mention to not mention The Stranglers to Hugh"

I said "Yes I think you did"

He said "OK but you did anyway"

I said "Yes"

Then Hugh came back & I think I mentioned The Stranglers one more time.

He said "I don't want to talk about The Stranglers ever again"

I said "But I do, I invested a lot of time/money going to your gigs as teenager"

I also said "I used to shag Sarah Cotton allday long listening to Ratus nor-wass-it-called"

He scowled & we laughed, well I did anyway.

So, I don't think there's going to be a great reunion gig.

But who knows eh ?

NETTE:-S

Isn't this a bit like starting a thread for 'Things that never happened in my life but wish they had" or how about 'Bands that never formed but would have been great if they had'? Then there's 'Footballers who never returned to the club they once played for' and 'Countries I've never visited'.

What about bands that have reformed and really shouldn't have?

Thin Lizzy

Queen

10CC

ELO

Van Halen

Deep Purple

Slade

Guns N Roses

Status Quo

Or those that haven't and God willing won't..

Spice Girls

Girls Aloud

The Smiths

Black Lace (or have they?)

OK well it's all a matter of taste isn't it? Some people would love to see The Smiths again or The Spice Girls...Of course the musicians who want to earn a living have the right to do that. Ray Manzanerek and Robbie Krieger said, We tour as The Doors, if we don't have the right to do that, then who does?

UB40 RELEASE STATEMENT FOLLOWING BANKRUPTCY CASE

Birmingham, UK, 19th October, 2011. Following stories in the weekend?s national press, David Harper, manager for UK reggae legends UB40, has released the following statement on behalf of the band:

?There have been some inaccuracies reported in national newspapers which we would like to correct. Despite rumours to the contrary, UB40 has not been made bankrupt. Some individual members of the band have been declared insolvent, but not all members. UB40 wish to assure all of their fans that it is business as usual. To that end, the band will resume the recording sessions for their new album at the end of October, with a view to it being released in early 2012. Touring plans are also well underway for next year, with dates already scheduled for January & February in Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, Switzerland & Spain. UB40 would like to thank their loyal fans from around the world for their continued messages of support.?

I would rather The Police or Blondie had never reformed. And that "Beatles" single Free As A Bird could also be seen as an ill-advised reunion of sorts.

Not a UB40 fan at all, but surely it's silly to carry on after losing a singer with such a recognisable voice.

I thought The Spice Girls already did a reunion show a couple of years ago?

Guns n Roses and Van Halen were always a bit of a circus anyway...

Yeah, I don't think Guns N' Roses ever officially split, it's just that Axl Rose was the only original ledt, and he took over a decade to record an album.

Spice girls released a single, and did some shows at the O2 a couple a years back.

Don't

Don't

Please don't

Reform. No no no no no no

It is captured in space and time. It means something to a period in your life. Don't.

So to contradict myself I did enjoy seeing the Chameleons reform and similarly I think the Beat have got a nice mix of old and new (and the Buzcocks as well). All others (including Carter USM), move on, don't. In fact apart from the Fall as John Peel would say, all bands should split up by law after their third difficult albumn.

Now I think you can get away with playing a few of your old songs, in your new band. Morrissey can get away with it. Sting can do alternative arrangements of his hits.

I went to the Beautiful Days festival, this summer, which is mainly reformed bands, and all I thought was - OK so that was great 10, 20 or over 30 years ago, but move on. Including Hugh Cornwall, who's whole set was Stanglers hits, and newer stuff that sounded like the Stranglers.

And Blondie playing their hits at Glastonbury with an average audience aged 22 singing along? Parallel Lines was just so good, but that was 1978 and even then Debbie was getting on a bit.

The Clash could have reformed, and there was always talk, but it was never going to happen. Clearly the case now. Interestingly Strummer fronted the Pogues for a tour and that worked pretty well (and the last good stuff they did).

Now the point in question, and I've mouthed off a lot about this in the past, are touts scum or are they just good capitalists? I believe the former and even contributed an economic argument, to a Select Committee, on this (distorting the market). So I was pleased to see some 20 million pound bids on e-bay yesterday to p them off, but a bit sad this morning to see genuine ?1000+ bids for ?60 tickets. Cheaper to get the DVD of them live in Blackpool in 89, and buy some e's to get the experience.