St Aidans Road

Girl82

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right bit of the forum to post this in but here goes! I am looking for a place to rent in Dulwich and recently looked at a property on St Aidan's Road. I thought the house was lovely but am a little concerned about its close proximity to The Herne Tavern at the end of the street. To anyone who lives on St Aidan's Road (or knows the area well), would you say this is a noisy pub?

I am moving to East Dulwich to enjoy the quiet life a bit more, so definitely don't want to end up living next to a really loud pub!

Any advice you could give me would be great.

Thanks very much!

We don't live on St Aidan's but on a neighbouring road, so not sure what the noise would be like at short distance. However, just to reassure you that the Herne is a real family pub, mostly busy during the afternoon/ early evening or Sunday lunch period. Aside from a nicely busy pub quiz on Sunday eves and live music some weekends, it is generally a cosy and quiet pub which is a treat to have within walking distance of home! If I were you, I'd pop in for a weekend drink and get a feel for the place if you're worried...

if you want a quite life, why would you want to move near a pub? Or are you one of those people that will buy the house and then complain about the noise although the pub sells alcohol and people go out to enjoy themselves and yes it will be noisy at times.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease everyone! Ss18, that's a great idea about going to have a drink in the pub and seeing what it's like. A "family pub" sounds great though to be honest.

EastdulwichNewbie, is St Aidan's Road a nice road to live on in general?

Cheers!

I live on St Aidans (at the top). I think it's a nice quiet road which is close to buses and the park. Lordship lane is only 10mins away. The herne is a family pub so the garden can get quite noisy in the summer - only a potential issue if you live on the same side of the road as the pub.

Hi there,

St Aidan's Road is a lovely road - pretty and friendly! The pub is no problem at all. It is a family pub, which does decent food and there is very rarely any noise at all. If you decide to move here PM me and come round for a cup of tea (or wine!) K

Wow, thanks so much for your help everyone! :) East Dulwich seems so friendly!

Family noise is no problem at all, to be honest - I just wanted to check it didn't regularly hold all-night raves or anything like that, hehe!

And KattyKit, I might just take you up on that glass of wine! ;)

like others have said - it depends on how quiet you like things to be! I'm in one of the white maisonettes at the Herne end. You can hear the noise from the kids in the garden when the weather is good, but i've never had trouble with late night noise. The main (minor) irritant is all of the cars parked up the road on a Sunday (they do a pretty popular sunday lunch), but it's not a major problem.

And feel free to send a PM if you fancy any more info/a drink when you move!

Hi Girl82.

we try to keep the noise to a reasonable level. We have a garden policy which means that no one should be outside after 11pm. From time to time we have the odd event which may be audible, but it shouldn't ever be a noise nuisance, rather the noise of people or occasionally music. It never goes on for very long.

If you do move in and have any issues please call The Herne on 020 82999 521 and ask to speak to Darral or Manuel. They are the managers and will do anything they can to assist and assure.

Cheers.

Hi The Palmerston,

Thanks for your message! From what everyone's said here the pub sounds great. I actually popped in recently and think it will definitely become my local if we do move to St Aidan's Road!

I think it's a bonus to have a pub at the end of the street to be honest - I just wanted to check it wasn't open til 3am every night playing massively loud music that's all, hehe!

Hi my business is next door to the Herne pub,(Nicholas Driving Academy)and although i don't live there, i'm often around untill 9pm some evenings.

Take it from me they're no trouble, the only problem is the parking, it can be tricky to get a parking space at times.